- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017by Thomas Mulenga on 23 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Jul 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jul 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Jul 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Hakainde Hichilema on 20 Jul 2017by Laura Miti on 13 Jul 2017by Stella Sata Rukayi on 8 Jul 2017by Nic Cheeseman on 7 Jul 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 16 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 26 Jun 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 2 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 18 Jun 2017
ZAF officer dies after being beaten at Woodlands PoliceBy Joseph Mwenda on 19 Mar 2017
Sergeant Nchimunya Choongwe, a Zambia Air Force officer has died after being beaten at Woodland Police station where he was detained on Friday.
According to an investigation, Sgt Choongwe was driving around Nyumba Yanga area on Friday and was involved in a confrontation with another motorist following an accident.
Witnesses explained that Sgt Choongwe bashed his car into another vehicle but that he became violent in the confrontation, forcing onlookers to call the police.
Sgt Choongwe was then arrested and detained at Woodlands Police station after he picked another quarrel with one of the police officers.
According to impeccable sources, one of the officers at Woodlands Police ordered the inmates who were already in police cells to beat Sgt Choongwe, which they did, resulting into his death.
When contacted this afternoon, Lusaka Province Police Commissioner Nelson Phiri confirmed the death of the ZAF officer adding that the inmates would all be charged with murder.
Phiri narrated that Stg Choongwe turned violent when he was approached by police officers who went to the accident scene.
“The man died on his way to the hospital after having been beaten by fellow inmates in the cells. First of all, he caused an accident, bashed into somebody’s car. So that accident was reported at Nyumba Yanga Police Post and officers went to attend to it,” Commissioner Phiri narrated.
“But somehow he became violent, such that it had to take a reinforcement from Woodlands Police. He actually assaulted one of the police officers, so he had to be taken to Woodlands police station.”
Asked if the ZAF officer was in a drunken state, Phiri said he could not confirm that in the absence of a medical report.
“So he was detained for assault on police, now in the cells again he picked up a quarrel with inmates there, who descended on him and beat him up. Others called officers who were on duty. The officers rushed there and saw that he was in bad shape. They tried to rush him to the hospital and on arrival there, he was pronounced dead,” said Phiri.
“The inmates will be charged for the offence of murder if it will come out that he died of beatings. That is what we are doing and the inmates are still with us.”Related ItemsHeadlines
You may also like...
- Lungu expels Kambwili, Musenge from PF
- I'm a threat to the sole candidate - Kambwili
- PF is being run by frustrated SG and deputy, they wanted to be ministers - youths
- Russia to deliver 4 superjets to Zambia in 2018, plus one for Head of State - Media
- Kapata mocks Lusaka Mayor over suggestion to bury Zesco cables
Weekly Most Digged
- «July 2017»
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend