- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Zambia 2-1 PortugalBy Joseph Mwenda on 21 May 2017
The Zambia Under-20 team has beaten two-times world champions Portugal by two goal to one.
This was after a grueling, but goalless first half which saw the Europeans coming close to scoring on numerous occasions.
Zambia, the defending African champions scored the first through Edward Chilufya from a rebound after Enock Mwepu’s shot was saved in the 51st minute.
Fashion Sakala placed second goal for Zambia in the 75th minute.
Portugal pulled one back at the stroke of the 90th minute.
The opening Group C clash at at the 2017 FIFA U20 World Cup which is being hosted by South Korea kicked off at 06:45 Zambian time.
Emmanuel Banda struck with his left from outside the box in the 71 minute two double the Chipolopolo lead, but the Portuguese goalie parlied it for a corner.
Earlier in the first half, Portuguese forward Ribeiro had his close range shot blocked in the penalty box.
Ribeiro fired another one over the bar, as Zambia desperately defended leaving Patson Daka injured and consequently substituted with a bleeding mouth.
It was in the 44th minute when Zambia survived a clear Portuguese chance to score.
Zambia had two shots on target but none troubled the Portuguese goalkeeper.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Lungu’s full address: Zambia records 12 COVID-19 cases as lock down looms - 25 Mar 2020
- Govt failing to target resources to key sectors for economic growth – Saasa - 10 Feb 2020
- High Court refuses to stay defamation proceedings against Fresher Siwale - 11 Nov 2019
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 11 Sep 2019
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe - 11 Sep 2019
- Zambia's COVID-19 cases jump to 35 (28,075 views)
- Govt identifies Chaisa, Jack Compound, Ibex Hill as COVID-19 hot zones (27,024 views)
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish! (11,839 views)
- High Court keeps Spax in jail (10,328 views)
- COVID-19 cases rise to 29 (6,618 views)
- COVID-19 leaves PF general conference in limbo
- Correctional Services mulls release of inmates due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Swabs have become a rare commodity, laments public national health institute
- Katuka denies ordering youth punch-up at UPND secretariat
- MISA asks ECZ to expedite dismantling of 2016 debt owed to media houses
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «March 2020»
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
Send this to a friend