by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Julia Malunga on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019
UNZA student gets 18 months for traffickingBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 28 Aug 2018
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a University of Zambia student to one-year-six-months imprisonment with hard labour for trafficking in 800.7 grams of marijuana.
Kasongo Chizelu, 22, had pleaded guilty to trafficking in psychotropic substances before magistrate Mwandu Sakala’s court.
It was alleged that on August 10, 2018, Kasongo trafficked in 800.7grams of marijuana, a herbal product of cannabis, sativa, without authority.
Facts in this matter are that on August 10, the Drug Enforcement Commission officers received information that the UNZA chief of security had a male student in his custody.
The said student, Kasongo, was apprehended while the university’s security officers were conducting routine checks in hostels.
He was found in possession of 79 suspected satchets of drugs.
“Kasongo was found on the roof top of Africa six hostel in possession of 79 suspected sachets of drugs. DEC officers went to the university where its security handed over Kasongo and suspected drugs to the law enforcers. When shown the suspected drugs, Kasongo admitted ownership. DEC officers apprehended Kasongo and seized the suspected drugs which were later taken to the University Teaching Hospital and drug control laboratory,” read the facts.
“A public analyst identified and confirmed the suspected drugs to be marijuana, a herbal product of cannabis sativa weighing 800.7grammes. Katongo admitted the charge and was formally arrested.”
And in mitigation, Kasongo asked the court not to send him to prison saying he had realised the negative effect of marijuana on his life.
He asked the court to give him a fine as he was a fourth and final year student remaining with a few months before graduating.
“I have realized that marijuana caused destruction to my life,” he said.
And passing judgement, magistrate Sakala said Kasongo deserved leniency but drug trafficking was a serious offence attracting a 25 year maximum jail term.
She said the amount of drugs he was found with was substantial.
“The way you packaged the drugs shows that they were meant for sale. I sentence you to one-year six months imprisonment with hard labour from the date of your arrest,” magistrate Sakala said as the accused wept.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- 7 Lumwana expatriates were lawfully fired, company tells court - 20 Sep 2019
- LAZ asks ConCourt to throw out Musoma’s suit over Bill 10 - 20 Sep 2019
- Tutwa reports Sangwa to LAZ for “professional misconduct” - 19 Sep 2019
- ConCourt sets Sept 27 for ruling on preliminary issues in LAZ Bill 10 case - 19 Sep 2019
- 120 people sue UPPZ leader for fraud over land - 18 Sep 2019
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service (3,699 views)
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa (1,152 view)
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (905 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock (804 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (581 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Zambians have now turned to charcoal, forests are depleting
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa
- Solwezi man wins K67,147 from K5 bet
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend