by Mukosha Funga on 22 Jul 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Jul 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jul 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Jul 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Stuart Lisulo on 21 Jul 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Jul 2019by Natasha Sakala on 18 Jul 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 18 Jul 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 22 Jul 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 22 Jul 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Jul 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Editor on 21 Jul 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Jul 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Jul 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Jul 2019
by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 26 Jun 2019by Martha Mwanza and Felix Kashweka on 21 Jun 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Prof Muna Ndulo on 21 Jul 2019by Dr Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Jun 2019by Chewe Chishala on 22 Jun 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 11 Jun 2019
Former Chipata mayor commits suicideBy Mirriam Chabala on 22 Aug 2017[easy-social-share counters=0 counter_pos="hidden" total_counter_pos="right" template="20" style="icon" point_type="simple"]
Former Chipata Mayor Jealous Phiri has committed suicide by drinking pesticides.
This is according to a statement issued by Eastern Province Police Commissioner Alex Chilufya.
“I can confirm that a case of suicide was reported to police this morning on phone by a passer-by whose names are not known that as he was jogging today at around 05:00 hours at Chipata Primary School football ground. He found a male person whom he suspected to be dead in a car parked in the said ground. Police rushed to the scene where the deceased was identified as Jealous Phiri aged 66 of Maliferendum and also a former Mayor of Chipata Municipality from Nyalugwe village in Nyimba District,” Chilufya said.
Chilufya said that Phiri was facing several cases of pretense and that he was recently released from custody on police bond.
“He was found on the driver’s seat in his car and upon inspection of the body it was observed that foam was coming out of his nostrils and an empty container of doom pesticides was found besides the body. The deceased was facing several cases of O/M/B/F pretenses. He was on Police Bond in one of the cases. His body was conveyed to Chipata General Hospital Mortuary awaiting postmortem,” said Chilufya.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Ng’andu up against PF’s self-preservation – Sacika - 22 Jul 2019
- Police quick to arrest Lubinda’s attackers but failing to find Kasongo’s killers – NDC - 19 Jul 2019
- Govt will administer conventional FISP alongside e-voucher to address climate change – Katambo - 19 Jul 2019
- Nothing wrong with selling KCM to Chinese – Negotiating team - 18 Jul 2019
- ZCCB seeks alternative route for “genuine” reconciliation - 18 Jul 2019
- HH richer than me, but can’t build you a toilet, Lungu tells Katuba
- Court’s decision not to oust Kambwili leaves NDC in awkward position – Musenge
- Ng’andu up against PF’s self-preservation – Sacika
- Even RB was more reasonable than Lungu – Kambwili
- We’ll work with Mushimba to fix mess of Luo’s destructive legacy – UNZALARU
Subscribe for email alerts