by Julia Malunga on 16 Oct 2019by Daniel Chansa on 16 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 16 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 16 Oct 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by John Chola on 11 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Oct 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
Thieves should not be allowed to continue serving in govt office – AntonioBy Mirriam Chabala on 28 Nov 2017
FDD deputy national secretary Antonio Mwanza has called for the suspension, arrest and prosecution of all public officers cited in the Auditor General’s report for embezzling national resources.
In a statement today, Mwanza expressed disappointment with Public Service Commission chairperson Dickson Chasayais remarks that government would recover all misappropriated monies from erring officers through salary deductions.
“We are shocked with the sentiments of the Chairperson of the Public Service Commission, Mr Dickson Chasaya that government will not arrest and prosecute civil servants who have stolen public resources but will instead endeavour to recover all monies misappropriated from erring officers as cited in the Auditor General’s report through salary deductions. We are deeply disappointed that a man who has been charged with the responsibility of ensuring accountability, transparency and integrity in the civil service is actually the one in the forefront of tolerating and encouraging abuse of public resources. How on God’s earth can a thief be allowed to continue serving in office when he has been found wanting?” Mwanza wondered.
Mwanza demanded for the arrest everyone abusing public resources arguing that people could not continue living poverty because of thieves in government who were stealing from them.
“Mr Chasaya ought to know that Article 250 of the Republican Constitution as well as the Public Finance Act and other written law clearly stipulates that thieves must be arrested and prosecuted for theft and abuse of public funds. As FDD, we demand for the immediate suspension, arrest and prosecution of all public officers that have been cited in the Auditor General’s report. We cannot allow the wanton abuse and theft of public resources to continue unabated when our country is under serious fiscal stress. The money that is being misappropriated by those criminals could go a long way in ensuring improved service delivery and alleviation of poverty,” he stated.
Mwanza stated that arresting officers cited in the AG’s report was the right thing to do because it would serve as a deterrent to others who were in the habit of embezzling public resources.
“It is this laizzer faire attitude towards corruption and abuse of public resources by those that have been charged with the responsibility of safeguarding our national coffers that is encouraging corruption and wanton abuse of public resources. We want all those erring officers suspended, arrested and prosecuted so that they can serve as a deterrent to others who are in the habit of embezzling public funds,” stated Mwanza.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Govt hasn’t done enough to avert hunger crisis – Gwembe MP - 15 Oct 2019
- Commission of Inquiry into violence report is public information – Chipampe - 15 Oct 2019
- Commonwealth Finance Ministers to discuss joint action to prevent future debt crises - 15 Oct 2019
- Debt repayments mustn’t impede social sector spending in 2020 budget – ZTP - 10 Oct 2019
- UPND accuses Siamunene of exploiting hunger crisis to make political comeback - 9 Oct 2019
- Murder trial for Benny Zulu starts (4,032 views)
- 2 burn to death in Luanshya road accident (3,322 views)
- AVIC, RDA toll plaza deal was a rip off, evidence is coming (2,305 views)
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba's legitimacy in court (2,213 views)
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala (2,022 views)
- I’m Lungu’s strongman, that’s why enemies target me with corruption tag – Chitotela
- 2 burn to death in Luanshya road accident
- We’re ready to meet UPND in court over its gay rights agenda – Sunday
- Lungu’s failure to protect Sesheke cops worsening violence – Andyford
- Former ministers must do the right thing, pay back – Sumaili
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Lusaka woman denies committing adultery with Patrick, Foreign Affairs PS
- Murder trial for Benny Zulu starts
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies"
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend