A Grade six pupil at Mungu Primary School in Kafue District has died after she allegedly choked on a lollipop.

Mungu ward Councillor Kelli Liwanga narrated the incident and named the victim as Vivian Mweene who resides Kafue West.

He said the incident happened yesterday around 13:00 hours when Mweene bought the sweet after knocking off from school and was on her way back home.

“Apparently, the pupil bought a lollipop sweet sweet after knocking off from school on her way back home. Unfortunately she got choked and failed to swallow it, and she died instantly,” said Liwanga

A police officer at Industrial Police Post in Kafue Estates also confirmed having received a report of the death of the school pupil from Mungu, but referred further question to the public relations office.

And Mungu Assistant Community Development Officer Frederick Milandu described Mweene’s death as unfortunate, adding that the deceased was a disciplined girl and very active at church where she served as leader of the Seventh Day Adventist Church children’s movement.