A 22-year-old technician of Valley FM Radio in Nyimba District of Eastern Province has died while another 25-year-old employee is admitted at Nyimba District Hospital after the duo fell off a 30 meter tower they were repairing.

Confirming the development to News Diggers!, regional Divisional Criminal Investigations Officer (DCIO), Patson Mukumongo said the accident happened on 28th January, 2018 around 16:00 hours and was reported on 29th January, 2018 by Cephas Mumba, 36, who identified the deceased as Fackson Kalunga and the injured as Joseph Daka.

Mukumongo said particulars of the incident are that on 28th January, 2018 the duo was repairing the 30 meter tower, which could not support their weight and broke at the height of 10 meters from the ground, causing Kalunga to fall on to the roof of the radio station.

“I wish to confirm that on 29th January, 2018, the division received a report of sudden and natural death through Nyimba Police Station, from Cephas Mumba, 36 of old council compound who reported that two workers at alley FM namely Fackson Kalunga, 22 of old council compound and Joesph Daka, 22, of Sunga village in Chief Ndake’s area fell off a 30 meter tower as they were repairing the same,” he said

He said Kalunga died on the spot after his body penetrated though the roof of the radio station, resulting in serious wounds caused by iron sheets as he bled profusely.

“Brief facts are that on the 28th January around 16:00 hours, the deceased Fackson Kalunga and [the injured] Joseph Daka were repairing a Valley FM Radio tower which is 30 meters high, in the process the tower broke down at 10 meters from the ground, causing Kalunga to fall on the roof of the station and his body penetrated through the roof and fell on the floor. The iron sheets of the roof cut his body leaving big wounds and he bled profusely. That is what led to his death, while Daka fell on the ground and sustained cuts on the right and bruises on the back and was rushed to Nyimba district hospital, his condition is said to be stable,” he said.

Mukomongo who is acting Provincial Police Commissioner indicated that Kalunga was put to rest on Tuesday, while Daka was still admitted in Hospital.