by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
MCA-Zambia terminates two contracts worth US$52.3mBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 10 May 2018
The Millenium Challenge Account (MCA) Zambia has terminated two contracts with Elevolution Engenharia (Elevo) of Portugal worth US$52.3 million for consistently failing to meet contractual obligations.
MCA Zambia Corporate and Outreach Director Dr John Kunda revealed in a statement that Elovo had also not been compliant with the labour laws of Zambia.
“The Millenium Challenge Account Zambia has terminated two contracts with Elevolution Engenharia (Elevo) of Portugal worth US$52.3 million, under the Lusaka Water Supply, Sanitation and Drainage Project for consistently failing to meet its construction targets and to remedy performance concerns despite sustained efforts by MCA-Zambia,” Dr Kunda stated.
“The underperformance by Elevo poses a risk of not completing the infrastructure works on schedule thereby denying the residents of Lusaka, the expected benefits of increased access and availability of clean water and proper sanitation. Elovohas also continuously failed to ensure quality work according to contract specifications, including the reinstatement of public roads and private driveways. Further, Elovo has not been compliant with the labour laws of Zambia resulting in industrial unrest among its construction staff. On behalf of Government of Zambia, MCA- Zambia is fully committed to ensuring that the two infrastructure contracts are delivered for the benefit o the people of Zambia and the expectation of the United States Government, through the Millenium Challenge Corporation (MCC).”
He stated that the said company was contracted carry out works to replace old, leaking water pipes to reduce water loses in the existing network and to replace malfunctioning and obsolete water meters among other responsibilities.
“Elovo was contracted in February 2016 through a competitive and transparent procurement process to construct water supply and sewerage network in both Mtendere and Mtendere East. This included laying about 60 kilometers of water main supply lines and 82 kilometers of sewer lines, and select sewerage facilities in Salama Park and Chelstone. In addition, Elevo was contracted to carry out works to replace old, leaking water pipes to reduce water loses in the existing network and to replace malfunctioning and obsolete water meters, in select parts of Lusaka to improve accurate billing. MCA-Zambia reassures its various stakeholders of its unwavering commitment to ensure that the construction works are completed, in line with Lusaka Water Supply Sanitation and Drainage project objectives,” stated Dr Kunda.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Govt insists on power tariff hike - 16 Sep 2019
- Lungu has proved commitment to GBV fight by sacking Siame – ActionAid - 15 Sep 2019
- Zambia’s power deficit reaches 700MW, reveals energy minister - 15 Sep 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it – Lungu - 14 Sep 2019
- Allow us to donate relief food where there’s need than giving DMMU – UPND - 13 Sep 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (4,890 views)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (2,264 views)
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend (1,651 view)
- Bill 10 is nonsensical – Chongwe (1,559 view)
- How will judges rule on Bill 10 after submitting to Parley? (1,292 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend