by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Oct 2019by Julia Malunga on 18 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Oct 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 17 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 18 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Douty Chibamba on 19 Oct 2019by Felicity Kayumba Kalunga on 18 Oct 2019by Patricia Scotland, Commonwealth Secretary-General on 17 Oct 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
Lungu fires Percy Chato, puts ex-police officer in charge of PrisonsBy Joseph Mwenda on 10 Nov 2018
President Edgar Lungu has dropped Zambia Correctional Services Commissioner General Percy Chato and replaced him with his deputy Commissioner General in charge of administration Dr Chisela Chileshe, who was transferred to the prison services from Zambia Police Headquarters.
Sources say Dr Chileshe is the first known officer in recent history to ever be moved on departmental transfer to the Prison service in 2009, from Zambia Police where he served as deputy director medical.
“When he was transferred to the Prisons, there was some bickering because he was not accepted as one of them. So it was very expected that after Chato, the other Deputy Commissioner General in charge of operations was going to take charge. But Surprisingly, it’s Dr Chileshe who has been promoted. So there might be some operational tension there,” said the sources.
It is not yet clear whether President Lungu retired Commissioner Chato in national interest or he simply did not renew his contract.
Efforts to get a comment from Chato proved futile at the time of writing as his phones went unanswered.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 11 Sep 2019
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe - 11 Sep 2019
- Lungu must address debt, loadshedding, mealie meal prices in Parley address – CSPR - 10 Sep 2019
- Don’t ask for credit, find who owns 48 houses, APNAC challenges ACC - 9 Sep 2019
- Van Blerk loses appeal over Baobab land - 2 Sep 2019
- Police should not wear masks (2,746 views)
- Phiri explains heavy police presence in Lusaka's CBD (2,445 views)
- Benny Zulu led us to the crime scene for reconstruction, Cop tells court (1,744 view)
- Namugala curtails homosexuality debates (1,533 view)
- You're being dared, pull up your socks, Kampyongo tells law enforcement agencies (1,043 view)
- Load shedding: The underlying causes that we are overlooking
- Tough decisions will be made despite close 2021 polls – Lungu
- The Proposed 2019 Constitution Amendment Bill: A Threat to Zambia’s Democracy?
- Police should not wear masks
- SA’s renewed load shedding puts Zesco power import deal at risk – Eskom
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend