- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 26 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Bangweulu Hospital’s actual cost is K154m, not $154m, explains MalamaBy Natasha Sakala on 14 Aug 2019
The Ministry of Health has clarified that the actual cost of the Bangweulu Regional Hospital is K154 million and not $154 million as alleged by National Democratic Congress (NDC) leader Chishimba Kambwili.
And the Ministry has insisted that the tender process for the hospital was done in line with the Zambia Public Procurement Agency (ZPPA) standards before settling for Sunshare, the Chinese contractor undertaking the project.
Ministry of Health Permanent Secretary in charge of administration Dr Kennedy Malama explained that the figures the Ministry had were actually in kwacha terms, translating to around $11 million.
“As you are aware, Luwingu is a rural district part of Northern Province, so government made a strategic decision to take specialized services to the people of Northern Province by building a hospital in Lupososhi. So the contract sum is K154,174,340.72 (US $11million). The figures we have at the Ministry of Health are in kwacha,” Dr Malama told Hot FM’s Breakfast Show, Tuesday morning.
He insisted that the disputed tender process was done according to the provisions of the ZPPA Act.
“You know, when you are contracting works of this nature, you don’t do things outside the provisions of the Zambia Public Procurement Act. So, indeed, this project went through the due processes, which are expected to be undertaken and the Zambia Public Procurement Authority has to give concurrences where it’s necessary for us to execute such voluminous type of work. So, indeed, the contractor is Sunshare and this was also alluded to during the official laying of the foundation stone,” Dr Malama explained.
“In fact, it was not groundbreaking when his Excellency (President Edgar Lungu) was in Northern Province; he was laying a foundation stone, but even when we were doing that, works, of course, are underway.”
He added that the hospital in question was bigger than an ordinary provincial medical facility because it had more to offer in terms of service provision.
“This hospital, definitely, that’s why you see sometimes being referred to as a regional hospital so it is, indeed, a bigger hospital than an ordinary provincial hospital because of the scope. For instance, just to give you some highlights, this hospital is going to have casualty and emergency wing. It’s also going to have various specialized outpatient clinics; it’s going to have five theatres so that even if we have two, three theatres occupied due to emergency, you still have some space,” said Dr Malama. “It’s also going to have two ICU (Intensive Care Unit) wards, which will be able to cater for various emergencies going the hospital. It’s going to have a maternity wing, laboratory and also we have noted that the issues of blood safety in our country is topical so it’s going to have the blood bank services also as a separate entity and also many other support departments like physiotherapy, pharmacy, dental, radiology and of course many other wards.”
About Natasha Sakala
Natasha Sakala draws inspiration from people who stand up for what is right. She is very versatile and likes to bring out issues as they are.
Email: natasha [at] diggers [dot] news
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini - 24 Aug 2019
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 - 24 Aug 2019
- Matibini must resign over Bill 10 fiasco, demands NDC - 23 Aug 2019
- 2020 budget will be about debt repayments – Musokotwane - 22 Aug 2019
- Andyford condemns Lungu’s ‘no crying, no development’ remarks - 22 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (2,017 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,472 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,068 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (975 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (834 views)
- Chapter One Foundation asks ConCourt to order Lubinda to withdraw Bill 10
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend