The Zambia Revenue Authority (ZRA) has hailed 10 clearing agents in Zambia for improved tax compliance and trade facilitation in terms of value for declarations and for duty purposes.
And the ZRA says it will continue engaging the local clearing and freight forwarding companies in the country to improve their skills competences to ensure they control more of the market share.
In a statement availed by ZRA Corporate Communications Manager Topsy Sikalinda, ZRA Commissioner General Kingsley Chanda applauded the 10 agents identified during his visit to Northern and Muchinga Provinces for helping to boost tax compliance.
“Mr Chanda praised the top 10 Clearing and Forward Agents who are also controlling 90 per cent of the business in terms of value as Bollore Africa Logistics Zambia Limited; Customized Clearing and Forwarding; Transtra International Zambia Limited; Global Logistics Limited; Cargo Management Logistics; Ultimate Logistics Limited; Esse Clearing Limited; Hill And Delamain (Zambia) Limited; Uti (Zambia) Limited; and Barthsam Freight Services Limited. He, however, warned that any acts of misclassification of goods and smuggling risk having their licenses revoked,” Sikalinda stated.
And Chanda added that the ZRA will continue engaging the local clearing and freight forwarding companies in the country to improve their skills competences to ensure they control more of the market share.
According to the statement, the clearing industry in Zambia currently has 719 active clearing companies out of which 10 companies control 90 per cent of business, leaving 709 companies to share the remaining 10 per cent.
“Mr Chanda said the top 10 having over 90 per cent of the market share in terms of revenue are mainly international firms who have clear business systems and challenged the local firms to up their game so that they get into the top 10. We cannot focus on building competences, enhancing integrity within ZRA and forget about the external stakeholders because they have a role to play in our mandate. They interact with the business, declare their goods and so they must have the same set of skills that we expect from ZRA officers. With the changing business environment and systems, the Authority will continue engaging clearing and forwarding agents so that they also enhance their skills,” Sikalinda quoted Chanda as saying.
“ZRA has a standard system for the licensing of clearing and forwarding agents. These standards conform to the World Customs Organisation (WCO) standards. With this licensing, agents are able to do business with both local and foreigner exporters and importers.”