- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 14 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 12 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
HH drags Amos, Sakala, Sumaili to court for contemptBy Diggers Reporter on 13 Jun 2017
Lusaka magistrate Felix Kaoma has ordered President Edgar Lungu’s press aide Amos Chanda and Daily Nation proprietor Richard Sakala to appear before him on June 27 to answer for charges of contempt instigated by UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema.
And HH has also dragged Religious Affairs Minister to court for her statement that he was in court because he “pushed President Lungu to the wall”.
In separate complaints, Hichilema and five others, cited Chanda, Sakala and the Daily Nation, over a story headlined ‘HH acted foolishly’ that the newspaper published on June 1 quoting President Lungu’s press aide who appeared on an Al Jazeera ‘The Stream’ Programme on May 30.
Chanda had stated that “…there was no witch-hunt in the arrest of Mr Hichilema as the predicament he faced was purely out of his recklessness and foolish behaviour of endangering the life of the President even after power sirens signaled the coming of the presidential motorcade”, remarks which HH said were highly prejudicial or capable of prejudicing him in the treason matter where the courts are supposed to determine whether he and others were criminals.
He stated that Chanda’s comment was libelous and was intended to injure the reputation of the complainants by exposing them to hatred, contempt or ridicule.
In the first count of contempt, it is alleged that Chanda, Sakala and Daily Nation between May 1 and June 1 in Lusaka, jointly and whilst acting together with other persons unknown while judicial proceedings involving Hichilema and five others were pending before court, made use of speech and published in writing an article which was contemptuous or prejudicial.
Count two alleges that Chanda and two others published defamatory matter contrary to the Laws of Zambia during the same period that injured the reputation of the complainants.
Yesterday, Magistrate Kaoma signed summons for Chanda, Sakala and the newspaper which read; “You are hereby commanded in the name of the President to appear in person before this honorable court at Lusaka Magistrate Court on the 27th day of June at 08:30 hours, 2017 and on every adjournamdent until the case is disposed off.”
And in another complaint HH and his co-accused similarly stated that Sumaili’s statement on Zambia Blog Radio last month that ‘HH pushed Lungu to the wall…by refusing to accept his presidency’ was libelous.
But two magistrates have so far recused themselves from handling the case.
The matter was first allocated to magistrate Thandose Chabala before it was taken to senior magistrate Ireen Wishimanga but both magistrates recused themselves.
The case is yet to be re-allocated.
About Diggers Reporter
- Chingola man kills his mother’s lover - 14 Dec 2017
- Lusaka woman in court for murdering hubby - 14 Dec 2017
- HH to appear on ZNBC’s Sunday Interview - 14 Dec 2017
- Stanbic Bank Zambia announces new CEO - 11 Dec 2017
- Minister drops Solwezi General hospital management - 10 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend