by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Student who allegedly wrote “f**k you Lungu” on Facebook denies chargeBy Diggers Reporter on 31 Jul 2017
A 28-year-old DMI St Eugene student has pleaded not guilty to three counts of defamation of the President and one count of use of insulting language.
Edward Makayi is accused of insulting President Edgar Lungu on Facebook by saying “F**k you” and insinuating that the Head of State had multiple sexual partners including Agriculture Minister Dora Siliya and PF Deputy Secretary General Mumbi Phiri.
Makayi is also alleged to have insulted Home Affairs Minister Stephen Kampyongo.
When the matter came up before magistrate Humphrey Chitalu, Makayi denied all the charges and one of his lawyers Martha Mushipe asked for bail.
14th August, 28th for mention and 3rd Nov trial.
Lawyer Mushipe made application for bail.
“Accused person is of fixed abord and he is a student at DMI St Eugene University. He is able to meet reasonable bail terms as this court will grant. This is a bailable offense, our humble plea is that the court exercise liniency in setting up bail terms taking into consideration that the accused is a student and the fact that he has been incarcerated since the 21st of July 2017 and as such over detained,” said Mushipe.
She also asked the court to order the state to surrender all the properties they had seized from her client.
“We also have a second application to make…the application is for restitution of the properties that were seized from the accused person without warrant. The items that were seized are two Toshiba laptops, meant for his school, two phones, one is a Microsoft Windows Phones and the other an S Mobile duo sim phone. Two flash discs, a school bag, a CV and documents pertaining to his school attachments, some CDs,” said Mushipe.
In his ruling, magistrate Chitalu granted Makayi two thousand kwacha cash bail with two working surities bound at five thousand kwacha in their own recognizance.
Magistrate Chitalu however dismissed the application for the state to surrender Makayi’s items saying it would disrupt the prosecutions case.
Trial commences in November.
About Diggers Reporter
The Diggers Reporter brings you all the latest news.
- 4 Zambian trucks hijacked in SA - 15 Sep 2019
- Robert Mugabe dies aged 95 - 6 Sep 2019
- FAZ calls off Zambia vs SA friendly - 3 Sep 2019
- Zambia has given us a good environment for business – Orca Deco - 3 Sep 2019
- Mwitwa gives Tutwa 24 hours to apologize - 17 Aug 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (4,796 views)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (2,230 views)
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend (1,606 view)
- Bill 10 is nonsensical – Chongwe (1,521 view)
- How will judges rule on Bill 10 after submitting to Parley? (1,280 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend