- by Julia Malunga on 20 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 19 Aug 2019
- by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Aug 2019
- by Julia Malunga on 19 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Aug 2019by Daniel Chansa on 16 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Kambwili applies to join Mwila’s Roan vacancy caseBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Jan 2019
Roan PF member of parliament Chishimba Kambwili has applied to join the matter in which PF Secretary General Davies Mwila has sued the Speaker of the National Assembly in the Lusaka High Court for refusing to declare the Roan seat vacant.
Kambwili has applied to join proceedings as an interested party.
In an affidavit in support of ex parte summons for an application for joinder filed on January 9, Kambwili asked the court to join him to the proceedings, saying any decision made in respect of the proceedings would directly affect him and his rights as MP for Roan constituency.
“Since the the subject of these proceedings is whether or not the Roan constituency seat could be declared vacant, I should duly be made party to the same and I have an opportunity to be heard. That any decision made in respect of these proceedings will directly affect me and my rights and interests as MP of the Roan constituency,” Kambwili stated.
He stated that none of the parties would be prejudiced by him being joined to the proceedings.
“I verily believe that this is a proper case for me to be joined to proceedings. None of the parties will be prejudiced by my being joined to these proceedings as it is in the interest of justice and will bring finality to the same as all interested parties will be heard in respect of the same once and for all,” added Kambwili.
In this matter, Mwila had applied for judicial review over the refusal by the Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini to declare Kambwili’s Roan constituency seat vacant.
He had stated in an affidavit in support of an application for leave to commence judicial review that the decision by the Speaker to refuse to declare the Roan constituency seat vacant was illegal as it violates Article 72 of the Constitution.
He cited the Attorney General as the respondent seeking the following reliefs: a declaration that there is no suit on the part of Kambwili for Roan constituency pending before the High Court to challenge his expulsion; an order of certiorari, removing the decision of the Speaker to declare the Roan seat vacant; and costs.
The grounds on which Mwila is seeking the reliefs are that: the decision of the Speaker to refuse to declare the Roan seat vacant is illegal as it is in contravention of Article 27 of the Constitution and; that the decision of the Speaker to refuse to declare the seat vacant in order to give the Courts latitude to deal with the matters conclusively, is unreasonable and illegal as it amounts to use of discretion that the Speaker does not possess.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Mercury Security Services sues Lusaka lawyer over K2m fees - 19 Aug 2019
- 7 former Lumwana employees sue company over unlawful dismissal, US$4.5m benefits - 16 Aug 2019
- Chongwe traditional leaders not entitled to claims being sought in Kingsland case – ZAF Projects Limited - 16 Aug 2019
- Witchdoctor, Lusaka woman in court for murder - 16 Aug 2019
- Vedanta asks Court of Appeal to allow arbitration - 16 Aug 2019
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,242 views)
- Lungu is in gear 5 of 2021 campaigns (1,873 view)
- Mercury Security Services sues Lusaka lawyer over K2m fees (985 views)
- UPND reports GBM to police for 'tribal hatred' (905 views)
- Only a miracle can stop kwacha’s depreciation – Hamaundu (891 views)
- Don’t mine gold illegally, Musukwa cautions Mwinilunga residents
- Lungu must urgently declare hunger crisis, insists HH
- We’re a hungry nation because we insist that maize is our staple food
- The corrupt are evil, we must not glorify those who steal from us – Musa
- We can give mine licenses to Zambians, but we also need foreign investors – Musukwa
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Don’t tell us what to do, if you see hunger, just donate, Lungu responds to British Envoy
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend