- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Kanyama man who stole from Deeper Life Church jailed 6 yearsBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 26 Sep 2019
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a 24-year-old man of Kanyama Township to six years imprisonment with hard labour for breaking into Deeper Life Church and stealing a Plasma TV, carpets, seven mattresses and other items.
In this matter, David Lombe was charged with two counts of breaking into a building and committing a felony therein.
Particulars of the offence in the first count were that on August 5 this year, in Lusaka, Lombe, with intent to commit a felony, broke and entered into Deeper Life Church and stole a plasma television, seven mattresses and two carpets, the property of the said church.
And in the second count, Lombe on August 11, 2019 in Lusaka, with intent to commit a felony, broke and entered into the same church and stole three curtains, a keyboard and a bicycle altogether valued at K10,859, the property of Deeper Life church.
He had admitted the charges.
The matter came up before chief resident magistrate Lameck Mwale, Wednesday, for facts and sentencing.
Facts before court were that during the night of August 5, 2019, Lombe climbed the perimeter wall of the Church.
There were two security personnel manning the premises at the time but they did not hear him when he gained entry.
Lombe entered the Church through the window and stole a television, carpets and mattresses and the security personnel only realised the following morning that the church had been broken into.
And during the night of August 10, 2019, Lombe went to the same church and gained entry through the same window and stole three curtains, a keyboard and a bicycle.
But as he was jumping out through the perimeter wall, he was seen by a passerby who later apprehended him.
Lombe was taken to Kabwata Police Station where a detective Habeenzu took up the matter and instituted investigations.
After interrogation, Lombe led the police to Misisi compound where he sold the mattresses at K50 each, but they could not be recovered as the person who bought them also sold to other people.
Magistrate Mwale sentenced Lombe to 36 months imprisonment in each count, which sentences would run consecutively after expressing dismay at his action.
He said the convict was entitled to leniency but added that the offence was rampant especially that it was committed at a place of worship.
Magistrate Mwale said the place of worship must be respected.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Pilato asks Lungu to relax sanctions against Prime TV - 31 Mar 2020
- Lubinda breaks down as he recalls being slapped by PF cadre - 31 Mar 2020
- ZCCM-IH to appeal High Court’s decision to dismiss fraud case against FQM, 6 others - 31 Mar 2020
- Provide protective clothing to all health workers fighting COVID-19, MQHZ urges govt - 31 Mar 2020
- We need lockdown asap – Magande - 30 Mar 2020
- Zambia's COVID-19 cases jump to 35 (26,047 views)
- Govt identifies Chaisa, Jack Compound, Ibex Hill as COVID-19 hot zones (14,841 views)
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish! (13,845 views)
- High Court keeps Spax in jail (8,888 views)
- COVID-19 cases rise to 29 (7,168 views)
- Katuka denies ordering youth punch-up at UPND secretariat
- MISA asks ECZ to expedite dismantling of 2016 debt owed to media houses
- Pilato asks Lungu to relax sanctions against Prime TV
- Lubinda breaks down as he recalls being slapped by PF cadre
- ZCCM-IH to appeal High Court’s decision to dismiss fraud case against FQM, 6 others
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «March 2020»
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
Send this to a friend