by Julia Malunga on 13 Nov 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 13 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Nov 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 13 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 12 Nov 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 11 Nov 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 8 Nov 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 13 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019by Mazuba Muleya on 7 Nov 2019by Mazuba Muleya on 7 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
Mwepu credits belief for Chipolopolo’s successBy Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
Austria-based Chipolopolo midfielder Enock Mwepu says the Under 23’s qualification to the Africa Cup of Nations (AfCON) in Egypt means everything to the team.
The Red Bull Salzburg player described the team as very courageous.
The Chipolopolo boys qualified to the Egypt 2019 Africa Cup of Nations on Sunday after defeating Congo Brazzaville 5-4 on aggregate.
The team will join eight other countries at the AfCON in November.
Top three teams will automatically qualify to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
“We believed that this team cannot beat us. We just raised the courage within ourselves that we just have to do this. These things are special, it means everything to me, I am so happy and excited about my teammates. They gave everything up to the end,” Mwepu said.
“I am excited about the goals; I am praying that I will keep scoring for this team knowing that the best is yet to come. Unbelievable for me, it is something that I did not even expect. I did not expect that I would score. In football, it is always a good thing to score. Our word for the supporters is to keep believing that we shall make the nation proud. Of course, we have done it before and played games that have made them proud.”
He said his team was not intimidated even when the referee gave Brazzaville a penalty in the fifteenth minute.
“…the Chipolopolo boys were challenged but believed that the West African country cannot beat Zambia. We expected frustrations, we expected that they would treat us that way. We gave it everything and goals came in. It was a plus to us. It was a challenge for us because that was not a penalty. We kept the belief knowing that every Zambian was praying for us,” said Mwepu who further urged supporters to be constructive in their criticism of the players.
About Abraham Kalito
Abraham Kalito is interested in writing business, political, and human interest stories.
- Chipolopolo can still make AfCON semifinal – Chambeshi - 13 Nov 2019
- Govt dangles $3,500 each to Chipolopolo players if they beat Cameroon in AfCON qualifier - 7 Nov 2019
- FAZ to penalise fans for unruly behaviour at Heroes - 23 Oct 2019
- U17 get scholarships for winning COSAFA - 23 Oct 2019
- Futsal coach names 20-man squad ahead of AfCON qualifier - 21 Oct 2019
- There’re 2 Lungus in State House, we met them both (11,996 views)
- Electoral violence inquiry report implicates Mumbi Phiri, Frank Bwalya, Mwata Kazembe (4,929 views)
- DEC summons Amos Chanda for questioning (4,739 views)
- I'm at the bottom but God has a plan, says Mutati as Nevers meets Lungu (3,996 views)
- Lungu pardons Sinjela, 4 others on his 63rd birthday (2,564 views)
- I'm at the bottom but God has a plan, says Mutati as Nevers meets Lungu
- HH among directors of company seeking to mine in Lower Zambezi - Musukwa tells parley
- Govt cancelled presidential jet purchase due to austerity measures – Wina
- ConCourt ruling on ex-ministers different from my 2021 eligibility, this one is questionable - Lungu
- South African parliament debates Zesco debt to Eskom
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend