by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Apr 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Apr 2019by Thomas Mulenga on 19 Apr 2019by Daniel Chansa on 19 Apr 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 27 Mar 2019by Abraham Kalito on 26 Mar 2019by Abraham Kalito on 26 Mar 2019by Abraham Kalito on 26 Mar 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 19 Apr 2019by Stuart Lisulo in Lumwana on 19 Apr 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Apr 2019by Stuart Lisulo in Lumwana on 18 Apr 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Apr 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Apr 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Apr 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Apr 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019by Diggers Reporter on 17 Jan 2019
by Diggers Editor on 19 Apr 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Apr 2019by Diggers Editor on 17 Apr 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Apr 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 2 Apr 2019by Thomas Mulenga on 29 Mar 2019by McQueen Zaza on 26 Mar 2019by Zindikilani Banda in Sinda on 20 Mar 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Dr Munyonzwe Hamalengwa on 18 Apr 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 14 Apr 2019by Dr Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 28 Mar 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 25 Mar 2019
Lungu hints on State of Emergency: “Some people will now have to lose their rights”By Joseph Mwenda on 4 Jul 2017
If I become a dictator for one, you will bare with me, President Edgar Lungu said on return from Ethiopia this afternoon.
The President was reacting to a development where goods worth millions of kwacha were burnt in an inferno at City Market earlier today.
Police say they have not yet established the cause of the fire, adding that investigations were under way.
But on return from the African Union Heads of State summit, President Lungu described the incident as an act of sabotage.
“I do not want to pre-empt the measures we have put in place to up the game and we have done that. But I will wait to be briefed,” President Lungu said.
“If it means taking measures which are unprecedented we will do just that, some people will have to lose their rights. People who have lost their property have lost their livlihoods. So if I become a dictator for once bare with me.”
He said he would now take unprecedented measures and steps to stop the acts of hooliganism.
The President then visited City Market to see the extent of damage in the company of security and defence officers as well as Minister of Home Affairs Stephen Kampyongo.
He interacted with some affected traders at the market whom he assured that government would find ways to compensate them.
“We will see how we can look into the plight of the people and compensate their loss. Please do not take the law in your hands, ubuteko nabukwata amaka [government has got powers],” said President Lungu.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- OSISA investigative training graduates give testimonies - 22 Mar 2019
- Miners take govt, employers to task over job losses, mining tax regime - 22 Mar 2019
- Launch of News Diggers, OSISA Investigative and Fact-checking course - 22 Mar 2019
- Hivos celebrates Women in Agriculture - 8 Mar 2019
- Chitotela probe implicates Chinese, lawyers, fellow MP, ministers and others - 7 Feb 2019
- Give me respect when you're on my soil, Nkomeshya tells Prof Luo
- PF clamps down on social media usage as youths demand Mwila removal
- GBM is detached from UPND, says Mucheleka, as Mwamba fights on
- Kambwili names PF cadres who threatened him, gives police their contacts
- Kambwili unveils shadow cabinet, drops Musenge
- Katanga explains Kambwili’s police summon; “he caused malicious damage to motor vehicle”
- Ex-Barclays banker gets 6 six for stealing over K100, 000
- UPND asks High Court to halt Dialogue Forum
- Don’t consider insults from idiots as defamation, Lungu tells Kampyongo
- Leaders taking advantage of citizens’ silence on misrule – Maiko
Subscribe for email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend