by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Reporter on 15 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Sep 2019
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Govt confirms arrest of Chinese smugglersBy Charles Mafa on 31 Jul 2017
Ministry of Tourism and Arts Public Relations Officer Sakabilo Kalembwe has confirmed the arrest of three Chinese nationals and two Zambians who were found in illegal possession of 25 pieces of rhino horns weighing 32.2 Kilogrammes as reported by News Diggers! on Friday.
Kalembwe said in a statement that the three were arrested by a joint team of government investigators from the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) and the Zambia Revenue Authority (ZRA).
He however did not reveal the names of the suspects but said they were nabbed at Chanida – a border post that links Zambia to Mozambique and that they will appear in court soon.
In a related development, the woman who was nabbed at OR Tambo International Airoport is said to have travelled from Lusaka’s Kenneth Kaunda International Airport to Hong Kong via Johannesburg where she was arrested and since appeared in court in South Africa.
“The Department of National Parks together with other security wings have contacted the South African Authorities to provide details of the suspect in order to carry out further investigations to establish how the luggage containing the rhino horn eluded security checks at the airport and establish source of the rhino horns,” said Kalembwe.
“And the Ministry wishes to assure the public that no rhinos have been poached in Zambia’s national parks nor had rhino horns stolen from government stockpiles as being reported by some sections of the social media story that featured on some online news outlets regarding the arrest of a Chinese woman at the OR Tambo Airport in South Africa for being in possession of 11 Rhino Horns which were found in her luggage.”
About Charles Mafa
Charles Mafa is an Award winning investigative journalist, columnist and blogger.
Email: charles [at] diggers [dot] news
- Are sub-standard mosquito nets threatening malaria fight in Zambia? - 28 Aug 2019
- Chinese rhino smugglers named - 15 Aug 2017
- Govt confirms arrest of Chinese smugglers - 31 Jul 2017
- Zambia arrests 3 Chinese, 2 locals for possessing 25 rhino horns - 29 Jul 2017
- Kwacha down to 8.8 per dollar - 13 Jul 2017
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it - Lungu (2,643 views)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (2,635 views)
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them (1,492 view)
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi (1,329 view)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,329 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend