- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Joseph Mwenda on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
Govt confirms arrest of Chinese smugglersBy Charles Mafa on 31 Jul 2017
Ministry of Tourism and Arts Public Relations Officer Sakabilo Kalembwe has confirmed the arrest of three Chinese nationals and two Zambians who were found in illegal possession of 25 pieces of rhino horns weighing 32.2 Kilogrammes as reported by News Diggers! on Friday.
Kalembwe said in a statement that the three were arrested by a joint team of government investigators from the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) and the Zambia Revenue Authority (ZRA).
He however did not reveal the names of the suspects but said they were nabbed at Chanida – a border post that links Zambia to Mozambique and that they will appear in court soon.
In a related development, the woman who was nabbed at OR Tambo International Airoport is said to have travelled from Lusaka’s Kenneth Kaunda International Airport to Hong Kong via Johannesburg where she was arrested and since appeared in court in South Africa.
“The Department of National Parks together with other security wings have contacted the South African Authorities to provide details of the suspect in order to carry out further investigations to establish how the luggage containing the rhino horn eluded security checks at the airport and establish source of the rhino horns,” said Kalembwe.
“And the Ministry wishes to assure the public that no rhinos have been poached in Zambia’s national parks nor had rhino horns stolen from government stockpiles as being reported by some sections of the social media story that featured on some online news outlets regarding the arrest of a Chinese woman at the OR Tambo Airport in South Africa for being in possession of 11 Rhino Horns which were found in her luggage.”
About Charles Mafa
Charles Mafa is an Award winning investigative journalist, columnist and blogger.
Email: charles [at] diggers [dot] news
- Chinese rhino smugglers named - 15 Aug 2017
- Govt confirms arrest of Chinese smugglers - 31 Jul 2017
- Zambia arrests 3 Chinese, 2 locals for possessing 25 rhino horns - 29 Jul 2017
- Kwacha down to 8.8 per dollar - 13 Jul 2017
- Increased Zesco tariffs have caused rise in inflation – CSO - 1 Jul 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend