by Natasha Sakala on 17 Sep 2019by Tenson Mkhala on 17 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Sep 2019by Mwansa Mambwe in Solwezi on 17 Sep 2019
by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 17 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
AVAP calls for peaceful Katuba polls, vows to report violent partiesBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 11 Jul 2019
The Anti-Voter Apathy (AVAP) have vowed to expose any political party which is going to create confusion and violence in the upcoming July 30 Katuba polls.
And AVAP says it will be important to apply the Electoral Code of Conduct throughout the election cycle in order to deal with the ongoing abuse of resources by political parties who conduct early campaigns.
In an interview, AVAP executive director Richwell Mulwani cautioned that the organization would report and expose any violent political party that intended to cause confusion at this month’s by-election.
He feared that Katuba constituency, being close to Lusaka, might inspire cadres to flock to that area to cause mayhem and confusion.
“We should not trouble the police or ECZ (Electoral Commission of Zambia) [because] these are institutions that have limitations in terms of how they can improve things. So, it is political parties who should take responsibility and a center stage in ensuring that they work responsibly. They should not be happy when they see their cadres beating other people because that is weakening the electoral process and that is undermining voter confidence. So, as AVAP, we are going to be on the ground and we shall expose any political party that is going to create confusion in Katuba,” Mulwani said.
And he observed that will be important to apply the Electoral Code of Conduct throughout the election cycle to deal with the abuse of resources by political parties who conduct early campaigns
“As AVAP, we will be doing our voter sensitization in Katuba within this week and we are going to use mobile visual units. We want to use eye-catching messages and also using the video to educate voters so that they can also participate in the elections. And we know that the ECZ will also be conducting their voter education there because it is normally done after nominations, and the nominations are on Thursday (July 11). So, those campaigns [by PF and UPND] were illegal because the campaign is starting on 11th July after the nominations. And we know that that is how political parties want to capitalize on the loopholes that are in the electoral process. [This] is why we are advocating that the Electoral Code of Conduct be applicable throughout the electoral cycle so that those abuses of resources exhibited by political parties who conduct early campaigns are dealt with,” said Mulwani.
“That is where there is a gap in terms of the law. The law is not adequate enough to cover the electoral cycle. This is why when someone wants to abuse resources outside the electoral campaign, it is not an issue of ECZ as to whether that person abrogated the law. However, our expectations are that political parties are going to be peaceful in Katuba and that all the voters in Katuba are going to be inspired, and that political parties are going to work responsibly in terms of restraining their cadres from creating electoral violence. That is our fear because Katuba is very close to Lusaka and all these cadres are going to flock Katuba so that they can campaign and cause confusion as we saw in other places like in Sesheke and in the Copperbelt. Those are violence-prone areas, they are hot spot areas for violence.”
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Zesco is suffering, it’s got no money – laments minister - 17 Sep 2019
- Govt insists on power tariff hike - 16 Sep 2019
- Lungu has proved commitment to GBV fight by sacking Siame – ActionAid - 15 Sep 2019
- Zambia’s power deficit reaches 700MW, reveals energy minister - 15 Sep 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it – Lungu - 14 Sep 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (6,738 views)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (2,938 views)
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend (2,616 views)
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters (2,221 views)
- Bill 10 is nonsensical – Chongwe (2,186 views)
- De-gazettion of Forest 27 doesn’t affect Chalimbana River – Kapata
- Lungu must check his aides, they’ll injure him – KBF
- Zesco is suffering, it’s got no money – laments minister
- My penis doesn’t function, defilement accused tells court
- It’s illogical for companies that don’t pay dividends to bid for KCM – Mumba
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend