by Abraham Kalito on 22 Mar 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Mar 2018by Mukosha Funga on 22 Mar 2018by Nancy Moonga on 22 Mar 2018
- Goal Diggers
by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Mar 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Mar 2018by Nancy Moonga on 21 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Mar 2018
by Daniel Chansa on 22 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Mar 2018by Diggers Reporter on 7 Mar 2018
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Editor on 22 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 21 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 19 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 17 Mar 2018
by Felix Kashweka on 10 Mar 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 2 Mar 2018by Felix Kashweka on 24 Feb 2018by Felix Kashweka on 24 Feb 2018
- Guest Diggers
Zim minister loses bid to lead UNWTOBy Charles Mafa on 15 May 2017
Zambia’s Tourism and Arts Minister Charles Banda has congratulated Zurab Pololikashvili of Georgia for being elected nominee for the post of United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Secretary-General, beating Zimbabwe’s Dr Walter Mzembi.
Pololikashvili, the Georgian Ambassador to Spain who is also Permanent Representative to the UNWTO emerged winner with 18 votes against 15 for the Zimbabwean Minister of Tourism and Hospitality Industry Dr. Mzembi during the election at the just-ended 105th Executive Council Session in Madrid, Spain.
In the first round, Pololikashvili polled eight votes, three less than Dr. Mzembi but since the 11 votes gained by the Zimbabwean candidate fell short of the required 17 votes for a simple majority, the two candidates were subjected to another vote in which the Georgian emerged winner.
The recommended candidate, Pololikashvili, will be submitted to the 22nd UNWTO General Assembly for ratification between 11 and 16 September 2017 in Chengdu, China.
According the rules of procedure of the UNWTO General Assembly, specifically rule 53 – appointment of the Secretary-General. The recommended candidate will be appointed for a period of four years by the General Assembly by a two-thirds majority of the full Members present and voting.
The election for the nominee for the post of Secretary-General for the period 2018 to 2021 attracted seven candidates namely, Vahan Martirosyan from Armenia, Brazil’s Márcio Favilla, Jaime Alberto Cabal Sanclemente (Colombia), Pololikashvili, Ms Young-shim Dho (South Korea), Alain St. Ange (Seychelles) and Mzembi.
Banda is First Vice-Chair of the Council and co-chaired the Council meetings that were fully attended by all 33 Executive Council members plus more than 250 representatives from 59 UNWTO member states, including representatives of the Associate Members and Affiliate Members.
Banda thanked Zambia’s Ambassador to France who is also the country’s Permanent Representative to the UNWTO for his active participation in the UNWTO activities and meetings. The Minister and his delegation have since returned home.
About Charles Mafa
Charles Mafa is an Award winning investigative journalist, columnist and blogger.
Email: charles [at] diggers [dot] news
- Chinese rhino smugglers named - 15 Aug 2017
- Govt confirms arrest of Chinese smugglers - 31 Jul 2017
- Zambia arrests 3 Chinese, 2 locals for possessing 25 rhino horns - 29 Jul 2017
- Kwacha down to 8.8 per dollar - 13 Jul 2017
- Increased Zesco tariffs have caused rise in inflation – CSO - 1 Jul 2017
- Police arrest Kambwili, slap him with 37 counts of having money suspected to be proceeds of crime
- Kalaba distances himself from extravagant spending on Lungu's trips
- KBF is nothing but a mercenary in the eyes of the PF leadership
- Judge Musona finally views 'missing' Munali violence video
- Father kills son, daughter, before committing suicide
- HPCZ drags Lafarge to court for operating illegal clinic, dispensing expired drugs
- Speaker orders Kambwili to apologise for ‘maligning’ Kampyongo, Grandview
- Investigative journalism key to development – Foote
- Increase tax on beer instead of making people pay borehole tax – Mwashingwele
- UZi will enhance competition, lower cost of mobile services – CCPC
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend