- by Julia Malunga on 20 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 19 Aug 2019
- by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Aug 2019
- by Julia Malunga on 19 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Aug 2019by Daniel Chansa on 16 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Inflation up to 7.9%By Stuart Lisulo on 31 Dec 2018
The annual rate of inflation has marginally increased to 7.9 per cent, up from 7.8 per cent recorded in November, the third highest this year, according to Central Statistical Office (CSO) data.
Announcing Zambia’s annual rate of inflation for the month of December, CSO acting director of census and statistics Goodson Sinyenga said the marginal rise in inflation this month was mainly attributed to non-food items, such as household furniture, among others.
“The year-on-year inflation rate as measured by the all items Consumer Price Index (CPI) for December, 2018, increased to 7.9 per cent from 7.8 per cent recorded in November, 2018. This means that on average, prices of goods and services increased by 7.9 per cent between December, 2017, and December, 2018,” Sinyenga told journalists in Lusaka, Thursday.
“The increase in the annual rate of inflation is mainly attributed to non-food items, such as household furniture & furnishings and transport (domestic and regional airfare).
According to Sinyenga, food and non-alcoholic beverages accounted for 4.3 percentage points, while non-food items accounted for a total of 3.6 percentage points.
CSO data reveals that Zambia’s annual rate of inflation of 7.9 per cent recorded this month was the third highest in 2018, but closed the year within the Bank of Zambia’s targeted corridor of 6-8 per cent forecast for the short-to-medium-term.
About Stuart Lisulo
Stuart Lisulo is an experienced journalist with a focus on business news.
Email: stuart [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kwacha slides back to hit K13 per dollar - 9 Aug 2019
- Don’t stop us, we want to talk about corruption – Zukas - 1 Aug 2019
- Govt should consider emergency cash transfers to counter high mealie meal prices – IAPRI - 30 Jul 2019
- Inflation rises to 8.8% - 26 Jul 2019
- eNCA report that each minister owns 40 houses through corruption irks govt - 24 Jul 2019
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,222 views)
- Lungu is in gear 5 of 2021 campaigns (1,864 view)
- Mercury Security Services sues Lusaka lawyer over K2m fees (976 views)
- UPND reports GBM to police for 'tribal hatred' (903 views)
- Only a miracle can stop kwacha’s depreciation – Hamaundu (888 views)
- Don’t mine gold illegally, Musukwa cautions Mwinilunga residents
- Lungu must urgently declare hunger crisis, insists HH
- We’re a hungry nation because we insist that maize is our staple food
- The corrupt are evil, we must not glorify those who steal from us – Musa
- We can give mine licenses to Zambians, but we also need foreign investors – Musukwa
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Don’t tell us what to do, if you see hunger, just donate, Lungu responds to British Envoy
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend