- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Accused murderers of ZAF soldier granted bailBy Diggers Reporter on 28 Jun 2017
Four people accused of murdering Flight Sergeant Mark Choongwa, a Zambia Air Force officer, have been granted K3,000 cash bail.
When the matter came up for mention today, Magistrate Nthandose Chabala granted the manslaughter-accused quarterent bail after their lawyer made an application arguing that they were of fixed aboard.
“Manslaughter is not among the non bailable offenses so I will grant you bail…Until you meet such conditions you will be remanded in custody,” said magistrate Chabala
The accused include two police officers; Veronica Lucy Shawa and Mike Kapale.
Others are Lyton Mwale a driver and James Ngulube an archives clerk.
The court said Kapale, Mwale and James were required to provide three working sureties bound at K10,000 each whilst for Veronica, though bound in the like sum, it would be in their own recognizance.
The three male accused persons made their bail application through their lawyer Grace Mukulamutiyo after the court granted Shawa bail as her lawyer applied for bail last week Friday when they made the first appearance in court.
On March 17, Flight Sergent Choongwa was murdered in police custody at Woodlands Police Station where he was detained for a traffic offence.
Initially, police charged four inmates, Joseph Phiri, Andrew Kaoma a police officer from Kamfinsa mobile unit, Felix Kalube and Martin Chanda for the murder of Choongwa but these never appeared in court until the current suspects were presented to the court.
Some uniformed police officers came to follow the proceedings today.
About Diggers Reporter
The Diggers Reporter brings you all the latest news.
- Castle Lager postpones 2020 Africa 5s due to COVID-19 - 27 Mar 2020
- Police nab ‘Spax’ for murder - 2 Mar 2020
- Mazabuka mob drags suspect out of hospital, kills him - 20 Feb 2020
- Cops sustain injuries in N/West riots - 1 Feb 2020
- Vedanta warns Milingo against defying court order, selling mine assets - 29 Jan 2020
- Govt identifies Chaisa, Jack Compound, Ibex Hill as COVID-19 hot zones (35,501 views)
- Zambia's COVID-19 cases jump to 35 (11,743 views)
- High Court keeps Spax in jail (6,632 views)
- Stop load-shedding to keep people at home (6,479 views)
- Govt's plan to fight COVID-19 well thought out, assures Lungu (5,696 views)
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish!
- Zambian student chased from Chinese University over suspected COVID-19
- Cabinet debates total lockdown
- Lungu's full address: Zambia records 12 COVID-19 cases as lock down looms
- Govt identifies Chaisa, Jack Compound, Ibex Hill as COVID-19 hot zones
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
Send this to a friend