- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Soldier gets 18 months for swindling 4 peopleBy Diggers Reporter on 30 Jun 2017
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a Zambia Army officer to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour for obtaining K3,900 from people on pretext of facilitating for their recruitment to the army when in fact not.
Clement Kanyembo, 40, a soldier from Arakan Barracks has been imprisoned by magistrate Prince Mwiinga.
In his judgment, the magistrate said the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt that Kanyembo had intent to defraud four people whom he collected money from.
He said despite knowing the fact that there was no recruitment, Kanyembo went ahead and collected money from the victims.
According to Kanyembo, the money was to be used for medicals as a first step to recruitment.
In his lengthy mitigation, the convict asked magistrate Mwiinga to impose a suspended sentence so that his TB treatment was not disturbed.
Kanyembo said if he was given a custodial sentence, his children would suffer.
But the court refused to heed to the issue of an illness saying it was not a mitigatory factor.
Magistrate Mwiinga said Kanyembo’s pain was self inflicted and sentenced him to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour.
Those who were swindled are Lovemore Phiri, Lydia Chisempi, Roy Chilangwa and Richwell Sichinga.
About Diggers Reporter
The Diggers Reporter brings you all the latest news.
- Castle Lager postpones 2020 Africa 5s due to COVID-19 - 27 Mar 2020
- Police nab ‘Spax’ for murder - 2 Mar 2020
- Mazabuka mob drags suspect out of hospital, kills him - 20 Feb 2020
- Cops sustain injuries in N/West riots - 1 Feb 2020
- Vedanta warns Milingo against defying court order, selling mine assets - 29 Jan 2020
- Zambia's COVID-19 cases jump to 35 (24,616 views)
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish! (13,365 views)
- High Court keeps Spax in jail (7,999 views)
- COVID-19 cases rise to 29 (7,060 views)
- Cabinet debates total lockdown (5,111 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «March 2020»
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
Send this to a friend