- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Soldier gets 18 months for swindling 4 peopleBy Diggers Reporter on 30 Jun 2017
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a Zambia Army officer to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour for obtaining K3,900 from people on pretext of facilitating for their recruitment to the army when in fact not.
Clement Kanyembo, 40, a soldier from Arakan Barracks has been imprisoned by magistrate Prince Mwiinga.
In his judgment, the magistrate said the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt that Kanyembo had intent to defraud four people whom he collected money from.
He said despite knowing the fact that there was no recruitment, Kanyembo went ahead and collected money from the victims.
According to Kanyembo, the money was to be used for medicals as a first step to recruitment.
In his lengthy mitigation, the convict asked magistrate Mwiinga to impose a suspended sentence so that his TB treatment was not disturbed.
Kanyembo said if he was given a custodial sentence, his children would suffer.
But the court refused to heed to the issue of an illness saying it was not a mitigatory factor.
Magistrate Mwiinga said Kanyembo’s pain was self inflicted and sentenced him to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour.
Those who were swindled are Lovemore Phiri, Lydia Chisempi, Roy Chilangwa and Richwell Sichinga.Related Items
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend