- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Medical doctor in court for failing to pay kalobaBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 2 May 2018
A Lusaka money lender has dragged a medical doctor to court for failing to pay back K74,375 accrued interest and loan saying she has suffered financial loss and damages as a result.
According to a statement of claim filed in the Lusaka High court, April 20, Natasha Chikonde borrowed K49,800 from Chama Chilambe on agreement that the repayment be made within 30 days, plus interest of 25 percent, a plan which is locally referred to as kaloba.
This was by a written agreement made on July 6, 2017.
Chilambe stated that Chikonde was to pay back a total amount of K62,250, but by August 6, 2017, she had only paid K12,250 as interest leaving an unsettled balance of K50,000.
She stated that in September 2017, she reminded Chikonde that she would charge her 50 percent interest on the remaining balance to make it K75,000 if the debt was not fully settled by December 31, 2017.
Chilambe further stated that in October 2017, Chikonde gave her goods worth K22,500 as part of the payment and later paid K10,000 in the same month resulting in the outstanding balance of K42,500 which had not been settled to date.
“The Plaintiff shall further aver that up to date the said outstanding balance of K42,500 plus 25 percent monthly interest as per agreement has not been settled or paid by the Defendant with effective from December 31, 2017 to date. The Plaintiff shall further aver that 25 percent interest of K42,500 from December 31, 2017 to date is equivalent to K31,875. When added to the principle amount gives a total sum of K74,375,” read the statement.
“By the September 2017, the plaintiff reminded the defendant that she would charge her 50 percent interest (instead of 25 percent x 4=100 percent interest for four months as per earlier agreement) on the remaining balance to make it K75,000 in total if the debt was to be fully settled by December 31, 2017 of which was agreed by the Defendant. By October 4, 2017, the plaintiff was given goods worth K22,500 by the Defendant as part payment of the loan and later paid K10,000 in the same month resulting in the balance unsettled of K42,500.”
She further explained that 25 percent interest of K42,500 from December 31, 2017 to date was equivalent to K31,875, which when added to the principle amount gave a total sum of K74,375.
“The Plaintiff shall further aver that up to date the said outstanding balance of K42,500 plus 25 percent monthly interest as per agreement has not been settled or paid by the Defendant with effective from December 31, 2017 to date. The Plaintiff shall further aver that 25 percent interest of K42,500 from December 31, 2017 to date is equivalent to K31,875. When added to the principle amount gives a total sum of K74,375.”
Chilambe noted that despite numerous reminders for Chikonde to make payments of the monies due, the defendant had failed to fulfill the promise.
She stated that she had been inconvenienced by Chikonde’s actions and had suffered financial loss and damages.
Chilambe has therefore asked the court to order Chikonde to pay K74,375 accrued interest and the principle monies borrowed, damages for Breach of Contract, Costs, interest on damages to be assessed and any other relief the court may deem fit.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- High Court refuses to restrain Dangote from quarrying on Masaiti farmland - 28 Feb 2020
- ECZ was satisfied with my G12 results, insists Lundazi MP - 28 Feb 2020
- Diggers, EIA oppose Lubinda’s application for interim injunction - 28 Feb 2020
- Mechanic to serve 5 years for assault - 28 Feb 2020
- Court adjourns Kaizer Zulu’s contempt case to March 31 - 26 Feb 2020
- If Lungu doesn’t know, then he’s not in control (6,027 views)
- We’ve arrested 2 gassing masterminds, claims Kampyongo (4,986 views)
- PF lied to Zambians - Sangwa (3,146 views)
- Kwacha hits K15 per dollar again (2,179 views)
- Our salaries have been gassed, laments UNZA workers as they down tools (1,685 view)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- PF lied to Zambians – Sangwa
- Chongwe’s advice on Bill 10 too late – Mundubile
- High Court refuses to restrain Dangote from quarrying on Masaiti farmland
- Kariba over-generating power from little water, says Nkhuwa
- ECZ was satisfied with my G12 results, insists Lundazi MP
- Diggers, EIA oppose Lubinda’s application for interim injunction
- Govt hasn’t failed to manage public universities, claims Mushimba
- Bowman’s continued attacks on HH exposing his abnormality – Mucheleka
- Bill 10 is opposition’s best chance of forming govt in 2021 – Tutwa
- Zamtel cleans balance sheet through K390m debt to equity swap with Infratel
- Kambwili condemns Dora for justifying extrajudicial killings
- Gassing a PF scheme to destabilize UPND – Sacika
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend