by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Julia Malunga on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019
Court convicts headman for assaulting woman over cowBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Sep 2018
The Lusaka Magistrate Court has convicted a 43-year-old headman of Habeenzu village, in Shibuyunji, Lusaka Province, for assaulting a 57-year-old woman thereby occasioning her actual bodily harm.
Wellingtone Habeenzu beat the woman with a stick, injuring her left leg and leaving her with a swollen shoulder and chest pains after suspecting her of killing his cow.
Meanwhile, the Magistrates’ Court has set September 12, 2018 as the date of sentencing.
Particulars of the offence in this matter are that on July 1, 2018 in Lusaka district, Wellingtone Habeenzu, a farmer, did assault Lucia Mweenga 57, thereby occasioning her actual bodily harm.
Facts of the matter are that on the July 1, 2018, the complainant Lucia Mweenga, was seated at her house in Mulela village when she saw the accused person in the company of other persons approaching her.
When the accused person got to where the complainant was, he started asking her as to why she had killed his cow and when she refused, he started beating her.
“And when she refused, the accused person got annoyed and started dragging and beating her using a stick. She sustained a cut on her left leg, swollen shoulder and chest pains. She then reported the matter to Shibuyunji police station where the officers took up the matter and proceeded with investigations which led to the arrest of the now accused person,” read the facts.
“Under warn and caution, the accused gave a free and voluntary reply admitting the charge. He had no justification for assault.”
And when the matter came up for facts and sentencing, before magistrate David Simusamba, Wednesday, Habeenzu said the facts were correct after he was asked if he had anything to add or remove.
However, the prosecution said they had failed to trace the original medical report form which was in the custody of the complainant.
Magistrate Simusamba then directed them authenticate the photocopied form and asked the accused person to move forward so that he could see the injured leg.
He thereafter adjourned the matter to September 12, 2018 for sentencing.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- 7 Lumwana expatriates were lawfully fired, company tells court - 20 Sep 2019
- LAZ asks ConCourt to throw out Musoma’s suit over Bill 10 - 20 Sep 2019
- Tutwa reports Sangwa to LAZ for “professional misconduct” - 19 Sep 2019
- ConCourt sets Sept 27 for ruling on preliminary issues in LAZ Bill 10 case - 19 Sep 2019
- 120 people sue UPPZ leader for fraud over land - 18 Sep 2019
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service (3,734 views)
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa (1,171 view)
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (910 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock (822 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (586 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Zambians have now turned to charcoal, forests are depleting
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa
- Solwezi man wins K67,147 from K5 bet
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend