by Julia Malunga on 16 Oct 2019by Daniel Chansa on 16 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 16 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 16 Oct 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by John Chola on 11 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Oct 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
Court adjourns juvenile defilement case to Feb 12By Zondiwe Mbewe on 7 Feb 2019
Lusaka Magistrate Nsunge Chanda has adjourned a case involving an 18-year-old grade nine pupil of Bayuni Primary School in Makeni area who is facing one count of defilement to February 12 for possible trial.
The juvenile had pleaded guilty to the charge, saying he thought she was 17 and that the two were in a relationship.
The juvenile, who resides in Lusaka’s John Laing Compound, told the Court that the girl allowed him to have carnal knowledge of her, but it only happened once.
The said juvenile is facing one count of defilement of a child.
It is alleged that in July, 2018, he had unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of 16.
But after his plea, Magistrate Chanda ordered that the girl be brought to court for age determination and it was discovered that the girl was indeed 17 years-old and that she was six months pregnant.
And when the matter came up, Tuesday, for facts and sentencing, Magistrate Chanda said she could not proceed with the facts as there was a defence in the matter.
“Facts won’t proceed because there’s a defence. We want to go into trial because the girl said she’s 17 years. This will be an equivocal,” Magistrate Chanda said.
She further said the State had to prove that the girl was under the age of 16, which would then lead the matter into trial.
She adjourned the matter to February 12, 2019, for possible trial.
Magistrate Chanda further returned the juvenile’s police bond, which was revoked when he pleaded guilty.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Suspected UPND youth applies for habeas corpus - 16 Oct 2019
- LAZ asks ConCourt to dismiss Tutwa’s application to set aside contempt case - 16 Oct 2019
- Murder trial for Benny Zulu starts - 16 Oct 2019
- UPPZ leader applies for habeas corpus - 16 Oct 2019
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba’s legitimacy in court - 15 Oct 2019
- Murder trial for Benny Zulu starts (4,104 views)
- 2 burn to death in Luanshya road accident (3,469 views)
- AVIC, RDA toll plaza deal was a rip off, evidence is coming (2,360 views)
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba's legitimacy in court (2,242 views)
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala (2,055 views)
- I’m Lungu’s strongman, that’s why enemies target me with corruption tag – Chitotela
- 2 burn to death in Luanshya road accident
- We’re ready to meet UPND in court over its gay rights agenda – Sunday
- Lungu’s failure to protect Sesheke cops worsening violence – Andyford
- Former ministers must do the right thing, pay back – Sumaili
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Murder trial for Benny Zulu starts
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies"
- PF moves Parley motion to ban UPND for 'supporting gay rights'
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend