by Thomas Mulenga on 22 Mar 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Mar 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Mar 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Mar 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Mar 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Mar 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Mar 2019by Alex Chilumbwe on 11 Mar 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Mar 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Mar 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Mar 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Mar 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 22 Mar 2019by Sandra Mulenga on 22 Mar 2019by Sandra Mulenga on 22 Mar 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Mar 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019by Diggers Reporter on 17 Jan 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Mar 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Mar 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Mar 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Mar 2019
by Zindikilani Banda in Sinda on 20 Mar 2019by John Chola on 20 Mar 2019by Thomas Mulenga on 19 Mar 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 8 Mar 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 20 Mar 2019by Ompie Nkumbula Liebenthal on 18 Mar 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 16 Mar 2019by Ompie Nkumbula Liebenthal on 6 Mar 2019
‘UPND Councillor’ gets 18 months for stealing over K53,000By Zondiwe Mbewe on 12 Feb 2019
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced UPND Kanyama Ward 10 Councillor Brighton Bilumba to one year six months imprisonment with hard labour for theft involving K53,600.
In this matter, Bilumba was facing one count of theft by servant contrary to section 272 and 277 of the penal code chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia and had pleaded not guilty in April, last year.
Particulars of the offence were that Bilumba, 39, between December 2017 and January 2018 in Lusaka, being a person employed by the Local Government as a civic leader stole K53, 600 cash, the property of the Government of the Republic of Zambia.
He stole the said amount of money that was supposed to be paid to 13 people engaged by the Lusaka City Council to distribute bills for ground rates arrears on behalf of the Local Authority.
And when the matter came up for judgment, Monday, magistrate Felix Kaoma said the State had proved the case against Bilumba.
He said people in public office needed to be held accountable for their actions.
In mitigation, Bilumba said he was a father of six and was also looking after some orphans.
He added that he was also taking care of his old mother and was further constructing two mother shelters in his ward.
Magistrate Kaoma however sentenced him to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour.
During trial, one of the witnesses Leonard Cheelo, had testified that Bilumba inflated the number of people that were supposed to be paid by LCC for distributing bills for land rates arrears on behalf of the local authority.
Cheelo said he submitted 13 names to Bilumba but he however discovered that 22 ghost names were included, among them his wife and two other councillors.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe is a vibrant young Zambian journalist who has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians. She draws inspiration from journalists who stand for what is right and are not afraid to tell and show the truth to the people.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- China Harbour sent $299,985 to Chitotela’s lawyers, $140,000 went to Lungu C – FNB tells court - 22 Mar 2019
- Muntemba was an inspiration – NGOCC - 22 Mar 2019
- Witness narrates how Chitotela bought her house using a third party - 21 Mar 2019
- Cocaine traffickers get 8 years, 10 months - 21 Mar 2019
- ConCourt subpoenas Speaker, ZNBC DG over UPND MPs’ Parley boycott - 20 Mar 2019
- Witness narrates how Chitotela bought her house using a third party
- PF pours scorn on Kalaba in Bahati campaigns
- Sishuwa in Twitter war with Amos over "Youngson honour"
- My allegiance remains with the people who voted for me, says expelled Yaluma
- China Harbour sent $299,985 to Chitotela's lawyers, $140,000 went to Lungu C - FNB tells court
- China Harbour sent $299,985 to Chitotela’s lawyers, $140,000 went to Lungu C – FNB tells court
- Lifting of mealie meal export ban will hurt local consumers – Agro expert
- 9-year-old narrates how step-father defiled her
- When I become President, first order will be to arrest Lungu for theft – CK
- Kitwe man gets 5 years for stealing bricks worth K105
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend