- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
‘UPND Councillor’ gets 18 months for stealing over K53,000By Zondiwe Mbewe on 12 Feb 2019
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced UPND Kanyama Ward 10 Councillor Brighton Bilumba to one year six months imprisonment with hard labour for theft involving K53,600.
In this matter, Bilumba was facing one count of theft by servant contrary to section 272 and 277 of the penal code chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia and had pleaded not guilty in April, last year.
Particulars of the offence were that Bilumba, 39, between December 2017 and January 2018 in Lusaka, being a person employed by the Local Government as a civic leader stole K53, 600 cash, the property of the Government of the Republic of Zambia.
He stole the said amount of money that was supposed to be paid to 13 people engaged by the Lusaka City Council to distribute bills for ground rates arrears on behalf of the Local Authority.
And when the matter came up for judgment, Monday, magistrate Felix Kaoma said the State had proved the case against Bilumba.
He said people in public office needed to be held accountable for their actions.
In mitigation, Bilumba said he was a father of six and was also looking after some orphans.
He added that he was also taking care of his old mother and was further constructing two mother shelters in his ward.
Magistrate Kaoma however sentenced him to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour.
During trial, one of the witnesses Leonard Cheelo, had testified that Bilumba inflated the number of people that were supposed to be paid by LCC for distributing bills for land rates arrears on behalf of the local authority.
Cheelo said he submitted 13 names to Bilumba but he however discovered that 22 ghost names were included, among them his wife and two other councillors.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- High Court stays revocation of recognition agreement between UNZALARU, management - 25 Feb 2020
- Court refuses to grant bail to 18 men charged with rioters injuring building - 25 Feb 2020
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- Kambwili has the right to criticize govt, ZNBC staffer tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- ConCourt throws out LAZ’s application to jail Tutwa for contempt - 21 Feb 2020
- Lungu ill advised, no wonder Kingsland injunction has embarrassed him – Harrington (5,218 views)
- Police arrest UNZA veterinarian on false ‘possessing offensive weapon’ charge (4,488 views)
- God hates such useless prayers! (4,193 views)
- An opposition party is causing confusion in the country - Kampyongo (4,026 views)
- Lungu, his family enjoying because Zambia remains safe - Bowman (3,431 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Crooks planning takeover of CEC must be stopped
- Foreign missions unpaid for upto 4 months, govt says there’s no money
- High Court stays revocation of recognition agreement between UNZALARU, management
- 2021 poll will be a tight race – ECZ
- MMD MPs still studying Bill 10
- Police arrest UNZA veterinarian on false ‘possessing offensive weapon’ charge
- Cyber bullying keeps women out of politics, laments WfC
- Deploy cops to man schools vulnerable to gassing – ZNUT
- Court refuses to grant bail to 18 men charged with rioters injuring building
- Lungu, his family enjoying because Zambia remains safe – Bowman
- Mushimba’s explanation on delay to pay universities absurd – Miti
- Internet blackout in S/Province suspicious – Katuka
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend