- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
DPP gives consent for Mwaliteta’s prosecution in offensive weapon caseBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Apr 2019
The Director of Public Prosecutions has issued a consent to prosecute the matter in which UPND Lusaka Province chairman Obvious Mwaliteta and another businessman are charged with being in possession of offensive weapons.
However, authority to have the matter tried in another jurisdiction has not yet been obtained.
In this matter, Mwaliteta, 48, is jointly charged with James Sichomba, a 36 year-old businessman of Kafue, with one count of being in possession of offensive weapons or material contrary to section 85(i) of the Penal Code Chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
Particulars of the offence allege that on March 27, this year, in Kafue district of Lusaka Province, the duo jointly and whilst acting together, had in their possession offensive weapons or materials namely; two improvised machetes, a metal hoe, one wooden pick handle, two stones and a knife, without lawful excuse.
Mwaliteta was arrested by Police in Kafue on March 27 during the Kafue District Council Chairperson by-election.
When the matter came up before magistrate Alice Walusiku for mention, Wednesday, State Prosecutor Christopher Nyambe informed the court that although consent to prosecute was ready, the authority to try the matter in another jurisdiction had not yet been obtained.
Nyambe further said the ex-parte hearing pertaining to the application to have the matter tried in another jurisdiction would be done today, Thursday, in the Lusaka High Court.
Mwaliteta’s lawyers were not before court.
The matter has since been adjourned to May 6, this year, for possible plea.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit - 24 Aug 2019
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president - 24 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwitwa sues Tutwa for defamation of character - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,614 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,591 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,357 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,677 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,395 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend