- by Mukosha Funga on 24 Jan 2018by Joseph Mwenda on 24 Jan 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 24 Jan 2018
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Jan 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Jan 2018
- by Diggers Reporter on 24 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 24 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018
- Editor's Choice
- by Felix Kashweka on 13 Jan 2018by Diggers Admin on 11 Jan 2018by Tenson Mkhala on 6 Jan 2018by Felix Kashweka on 31 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 22 Jan 2018by Dr Charles Sinkala on 22 Jan 2018by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Jan 2018by Nachilala Nkombo on 20 Jan 2018
Chipolopolo face Botswana in COSAFA tieBy Diggers Reporter on 30 Jun 2017
Zambia battle to end their Cosafa Cup semifinal woes on Saturday when they face Botswana in the quarterfinals at the Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace in South Africa.
The four-time champions have failed to qualify to the last 8 in two successive Cosafa Cup appearances since they lifted the title as hosts in 2013.
Coach Wedson Nyirenda is under pressure to end that poor run at the tournament Zambia has continued to enjoy preliminary round group stage byes only because of the status on the FIFA rankings.
Zambia are unbeaten against Botswana in the Cosafa Cup but Nyirenda has reminded his charges of Mozambique who ended their unbeaten run against the Mambas in their 2019 AFCON Group K qualifier on June 10, that Chipolopolo lost 1-0 in Ndola.
“Every game is difficult, there is no easy game, Mozambique came and we had already beaten them before the match but they applied themselves better on the pitch and carried the day. We want to avoid that now,” Nyirenda said.
Nyirenda will not feature any high profile members of that team that lost to Mozambique nor will there be players from Zesco United or Zanaco due to their CAF club cup obligations between July 1 and July 9.
But he has added three members of the Zambia Under-20 team that won the 2017 U20 AFCON as hosts in March and went on to reach the 2017 FIFA U20 World Cup in South Korea in June.
They are defenders Moses Nyondo of Nkana and Napsa Stars’ Solomon Banda.
Nkana midfielder Boston Muchindu has also made the team.
But key will be the 12 players who featured in Zambia’s 2-1 friendly win over South Africa on June 13 played at nearby Moruleng.
They include Green Buffaloes striker Brian Mwila and Lubinda Mundia who both scored against Bafana and will be making their Cosafa Cup debuts.
Nkana defender Donashano Malama will captain the team and is the only member of the 2013 Cosafa Cup winning team in team.
However, Nkana striker Ronald Kampamba and Power Dynamos midfielder Fwayo Tembo were not selected for the tournament with an eye on the 2018 CHAN first round,first leg away qualifier against Swaziland on July 15.
About Diggers Reporter
- Serial adjournments in Lungu’s eligibility case irk ConCourt - 24 Jan 2018
- Cops plead not guilty to possession of fake notes - 24 Jan 2018
- DPP issues consent to prosecute fire tender protestors - 23 Jan 2018
- M’membe wants ConCourt to nullify Post liquidation - 23 Jan 2018
- Elephants coach sees Zambia, Namibia in CHAN final - 22 Jan 2018
- Lungu's theft not new; he started stealing as a lawyer - HH
- PF cadres attack Kambwili's supporters at Central Police
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves
- Serial adjournments in Lungu's eligibility case irk ConCourt
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «January 2018»
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend