by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Mukosha Funga on 15 Oct 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by John Chola on 11 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 11 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
Netball star eyes national accoladeBy Diggers Correspondent on 3 Jan 2019
Netball Association of Zambia (NAZ) has expressed happiness that the National Sports Council of Zambia (NSCZ) has for the first time in more than five years nominated a netball player for the 2018 Sports Person of the year award.
Diana Banda, a Zambia Correctional Service officer who plays netball for Prison Leopards is nominated for the award alongside Zambia Police sprinter, Sydney Siame.
In an interview with Goal Diggers! NAZ president Getrude Mukumi said that Banda’s nomination for the award spoke volumes of the strides that the association made in ensuring that the netball status in the country is escalated.
“We are very excited as an association because her nomination says a lot about the new standards of the sport in the country. We haven’t had any netballer nominated for this award in more than five years. That is why we are very happy as an association. Banda is also a great shooter in the game and she always outdoes herself,” said Mukumi.
Meanwhile, Banda called her nomination for the award a timely blessing that she will forever remember, adding that she was the oldest active netball national team player in the country.
“I was speechless when I heard the news through my fellow netballers in Lusaka and it is a big blessing to me. I’m the oldest active national team player currently so it gives me so much joy that I am finally being recognised. I will always remember this nomination whether I win or not,” said Banda.
Banda was awarded the Best Shooter during last year’s Diamond Challenge netball tournament in South Africa and during the Regional Africa Netball tournament that Zambia hosted in August last year, she scored a tournament high of three hundred and twenty-one scores in four games only.
Banda, a national team skipper, has also won a total of eight local netball awards under the Midlands Netball Association (MINA) Zambia National Service Commandant, Zambia Air Force, NAZ, Commissioners Tournament, Labour Day and Independence tournaments respectively.
Meanwhile, Banda’s rival for the nomination Sydney Siame said that it is the second time he was being nominated and hoped to scoop the award this year.
“I feel honoured that I have been nominated for the same award this year. It means am doing something great for this country and I hope I win it this year. It is really encouraging to be nominated for the same award twice and in two consecutive years,” said Siame.
About Diggers Correspondent
The Diggers Correspondent is a versatile writer.
- The Perils of Elitism in Zambian Politics and Economics - 14 Oct 2019
- Witch doctor burns boy in botched healing procedure - 11 Oct 2019
- Govt challenges Royal Air Charters to penetrate commercial market - 11 Oct 2019
- Mopani in major reshuffles as Glencore shakes up operations - 7 Oct 2019
- Cops save referee from lynching after delayed decision on controversial goal - 7 Oct 2019
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala (2,954 views)
- RDA, AVIC single sourcing deal pure corruption - Kambwili (1,380 view)
- UNZA congratulates Prof Nalubamba on his coronation as senior chief (1,062 view)
- UTH hikes user fees (986 views)
- Nkombo wonders how "inflicting misery on people" will help Lungu win 2021 (959 views)
- Commission of Inquiry into violence report is public information – Chipampe
- Zambia’ll be a war zone in 2021 if violence isn’t curtailed – Mpombo
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba’s legitimacy in court
- Milupi doubts Zesco’s pending power import deal with Eskom
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Lusaka woman denies committing adultery with Patrick, Foreign Affairs PS
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies"
- PF moves Parley motion to ban UPND for 'supporting gay rights'
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend