- by Mukosha Funga on 22 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 22 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Netball star eyes national accoladeBy Diggers Correspondent on 3 Jan 2019
Netball Association of Zambia (NAZ) has expressed happiness that the National Sports Council of Zambia (NSCZ) has for the first time in more than five years nominated a netball player for the 2018 Sports Person of the year award.
Diana Banda, a Zambia Correctional Service officer who plays netball for Prison Leopards is nominated for the award alongside Zambia Police sprinter, Sydney Siame.
In an interview with Goal Diggers! NAZ president Getrude Mukumi said that Banda’s nomination for the award spoke volumes of the strides that the association made in ensuring that the netball status in the country is escalated.
“We are very excited as an association because her nomination says a lot about the new standards of the sport in the country. We haven’t had any netballer nominated for this award in more than five years. That is why we are very happy as an association. Banda is also a great shooter in the game and she always outdoes herself,” said Mukumi.
Meanwhile, Banda called her nomination for the award a timely blessing that she will forever remember, adding that she was the oldest active netball national team player in the country.
“I was speechless when I heard the news through my fellow netballers in Lusaka and it is a big blessing to me. I’m the oldest active national team player currently so it gives me so much joy that I am finally being recognised. I will always remember this nomination whether I win or not,” said Banda.
Banda was awarded the Best Shooter during last year’s Diamond Challenge netball tournament in South Africa and during the Regional Africa Netball tournament that Zambia hosted in August last year, she scored a tournament high of three hundred and twenty-one scores in four games only.
Banda, a national team skipper, has also won a total of eight local netball awards under the Midlands Netball Association (MINA) Zambia National Service Commandant, Zambia Air Force, NAZ, Commissioners Tournament, Labour Day and Independence tournaments respectively.
Meanwhile, Banda’s rival for the nomination Sydney Siame said that it is the second time he was being nominated and hoped to scoop the award this year.
“I feel honoured that I have been nominated for the same award this year. It means am doing something great for this country and I hope I win it this year. It is really encouraging to be nominated for the same award twice and in two consecutive years,” said Siame.
About Diggers Correspondent
The Diggers Correspondent is a versatile writer.
- Child malaria rate increases in Kalumbila - 20 Aug 2019
- Don’t mine gold illegally, Musukwa cautions Mwinilunga residents - 20 Aug 2019
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats of the Livestock Subsector in Zambia - 17 Aug 2019
- 2 Ndola women get 18 years for inserting bottle in fellow’s private parts - 16 Aug 2019
- Chingola man murders friend over dispute for privacy with girlfriend - 16 Aug 2019
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India (2,361 views)
- Mushimba wonders why accepted UNZA student don’t show up to enroll (2,118 views)
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (1,661 view)
- You'll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt (1,654 view)
- State witness in Chimese’s case in court for perjury (1,045 view)
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend