- by Patricia Mbewe on 16 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Oct 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017by William Chileshe on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 12 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Police arrest fugitive driver behind Luangwa accidentBy Mirriam Chabala on 26 May 2017
Police Spokesperson Esther Mwaata-Katongo says the driver of the Kapena bus which killed 17 people in Luangwa three days ago, was identified and apprehended from Lusaka’s Garden Compound last night.
And Katongo says 13 bodies out of the 17 victims who perished have been identified.
The driver of the Kapena Scania bus identified as Matomola Mubyana aged 36 of Lusaka’s Zanimuone Township who had initially escaped was apprehended yesterday from Lusaka’s Garden compound at about 22:00 hours. He will be charged with 17 counts of Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. He will be taken back to Luangwa district where he will appear in court after being examined by doctors since he is complaining of body pains,” stated Katongo.
She went ahead to name the victims who died in the accident.
“Among those identified, seven are female while six are male. Most of the identified victims were based in Eastern Province, one Tanzanian while others were from Copperbelt and Lusaka. Those identified are as follows: Bridget Mutale, Ann Chali both of Lundazi District, Willy Mwanza of Nyimba District, Ian Tembo of Chipata District, Ann Lungu of Nyimba, Agnes Ngoma of Katete, Laston Ngoma of Chipata, Susan Shamilimo, Janet Kasalu of Luanshya, Hassan Munkondya of Lundazi, Paul Ngulube also of Lundazi , Abel Mwakasala, a Tanzanian national and Thokozile Nyirongo of Lusaka’s Zingalume. We call upon members of the public to continue coming forth to help us identify the remaining bodies,” said Katongo.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- TIZ elevates Lifuka to vice-chairperson global - 16 Oct 2017
- KCM declares dispute with mine unions over transfer of employees - 14 Oct 2017
- Southern Province chiefs were not intentionally removed from govt payroll – Minister - 14 Oct 2017
- Over 60,000 refugees enter Zambia - 14 Oct 2017
- Forgive Lungu, Pukuta asks church - 14 Oct 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend