- by Mukosha Funga on 26 Sep 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 26 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 26 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 26 Sep 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 26 Sep 2017by Tenson Mkhala on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Sep 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 25 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 25 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 24 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 25 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 25 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 24 Sep 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017by Elias Munshya on 18 Sep 2017by President Edgar Lungu on 13 Sep 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Train smashes schoolgirl in headphones at rail crossingBy Diggers Reporter on 13 Sep 2017
A 16-year-old Raphael Kombe Girls Secondary School grade 10 pupil has died on the spot after being hit by a Zambia Railways passenger train.
The accident occurred this morning at around 07:00 hours in Kabwe’s Nakoli compound as Martha Chileshe, who was wearing headsets, was crossing the railway line on her way to school.
Both Zambia Railways Limited (ZRL) and Raphael Kombe Girls Secondary School management have confirmed the incident to News Diggers!
Deputy school manager Kenneth Zyangale said the school was deeply disturbed by the death of their pupil.
“Yes, I can confirm that Martha is our pupil and this morning she was hit by a train and died instantly. This is a very sad development for us as a school and am actually preparing a report now to forward to the higher offices,” he said.
Zyangale said eye witnesses told the school that the girl had headsets on as she was crossing the road and could not hear the train approaching.
“One of the eye witnesses, a Mr Joseph Nyendwa, who happens to be PF Nakoli Overspill Chairperson, told me that Martha had headsets on as she was crossing and efforts by the train driver who hooted several times could not draw her attention,” Zyangale said.
He said the school did not allow pupils to attend class with cellphones.
“These are things we always talk about to the parents and pupils. At this school we don’t allow learners to come with cellphones,” said Zyangale.
The body of the deceased has since been deposited in Kabwe General Hospital mortuary awaiting post-mortem.Related Items
- Stop selling military regalia, Police warn salaula traders
- Car carrying G9 exam papers to Zambezi submerges in water
- Let Laura, others wait for police response on their planned demos – Katongo
- Dialogue with Lungu will adress police brutality, Constitution lacunas – UPND
- PF used DCs, govt resources to campaign – Nalumango
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «September 2017»
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend