by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 19 Nov 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Nov 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Nov 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 18 Nov 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Nov 2019by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 19 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 17 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
DEC arrests former ZAF commander, Chimese for theftBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Feb 2019
The Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) has arrested former Zambia Air Force (ZAF) Commander Lt General Eric Chimese for various criminal offences and has since ceased his properties suspected to be proceeds of crime.
DEC spokesperson Theresa Katongo told journalists at a media briefing in Lusaka, Wednesday, that Chimese had been arrested, jointly-charged with Chita Lodge director James Chungu (also known as Jimmy Fingers) for concealing property believed to be proceeds of crime, wilfully giving false information, abuse of authority and possession of property reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime.
“The Drug Enforcement Commission has arrested former Zambia Air Force commander Lieutenant General Eric Mwaba Chimese for various criminal activities. Eric Mwaba Chimese, 50, a retired Zambia Air Force commander residing at Plot No. F/ 4301/3/3 Baobab area in Lusaka has been arrested and jointly-charged with James Chungu, 51, a director at Chita Lodge Lodges Limited for concealing of property, wilful giving of false information, abuse of authority of office and possession of property reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime,” Katongo revealed.
“In the first count, Lt Gen Eric Chimese (Rtd) on dates unknown but between 1st January, 2018, and 31st January, 2019, jointly and whilst acting together with James Chungu and other persons unknown, did conceal a portion of a farm in Ibex on which nine fully-furnished flats, an up-stair house, a gym, visitors quarters and a semi-detached servants’ quarters have been constructed purporting to show that the said properties belong to Chita Lodges Limited, a company where James Chungu is a director, when in fact the properties in question are owned and were constructed by Lt General Chimese.”
The former ZAF commander is also accused of wilfully giving false information to authorised officers by stating that the said properties belonged to Chita Lodges when in fact not.
Katongo also disclosed that Chimese had been charged for abuse of authority of office by directing ZAF employees to do construction works at his properties.
“In count two, James Chungu on 31st January, 2019, did wilfully give false information to authorised officers by stating that the said properties where for Chita Lodges Limited when in fact not. In count three, Lt Gen Eric Chimese (Rtd.) abused his authority of office in his capacity as Zambia Air Force commander by directing the deployment of some Zambia Air Force employees to do construction works at his properties. In count four, Lt Gen. Chimese (Rtd.) did possess properties suspected to be proceeds of crime contrary to section 71 (1) of the Forfeiture of Proceeds of Crime Act. The Commission has since seized properties, which include 13 fully-furnished houses, one semi-detached house and a gym all within Lusaka. The accused persons are on police bond and will appear in court soon,” said Katongo.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- PAC chases Home Affairs PS away for uncoordinated submission - 19 Nov 2019
- Some politicians influencing chiefs to rebel against Litunga, govt – Wina - 19 Nov 2019
- Mutati is looking outside MMD, but I’ll continue fighting for the party – Nakacinda - 18 Nov 2019
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period - 16 Nov 2019
- Govt will get $2.03bn loan from China for Chipata-Serenje Railway project, reveals Minister - 15 Nov 2019
- PF youths demand change of presidential candidate, as Mwila insists 'it's Lungu' (8,340 views)
- Standard Chartered closes 5 branches (6,398 views)
- There're no animals left here, we want a mine in Lower Zambezi - Chief Mburuma (2,633 views)
- Sorry Amos, defending a President is a thankless job (2,018 views)
- HH writes IMF, submits economic recovery plan (2,016 views)
- ActionAid demands Lungu’s position on violence report
- Utilize National Health Insurance Scheme funds prudently, ZMA urges govt
- HH writes IMF, submits economic recovery plan
- Lungu’s disregard of ConCourt ruling on ex-ministers shows Zambia has 2 sets of laws – VJ
- Politicking on tribal lines can ignite civil strife, warn CSOs
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period
- Standard Chartered closes 5 branches
- PF youths demand change of presidential candidate, as Mwila insists 'it's Lungu'
- I don’t understand how we lost - Mwepu
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend