- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
DEC arrests former ZAF commander, Chimese for theftBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Feb 2019
The Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) has arrested former Zambia Air Force (ZAF) Commander Lt General Eric Chimese for various criminal offences and has since ceased his properties suspected to be proceeds of crime.
DEC spokesperson Theresa Katongo told journalists at a media briefing in Lusaka, Wednesday, that Chimese had been arrested, jointly-charged with Chita Lodge director James Chungu (also known as Jimmy Fingers) for concealing property believed to be proceeds of crime, wilfully giving false information, abuse of authority and possession of property reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime.
“The Drug Enforcement Commission has arrested former Zambia Air Force commander Lieutenant General Eric Mwaba Chimese for various criminal activities. Eric Mwaba Chimese, 50, a retired Zambia Air Force commander residing at Plot No. F/ 4301/3/3 Baobab area in Lusaka has been arrested and jointly-charged with James Chungu, 51, a director at Chita Lodge Lodges Limited for concealing of property, wilful giving of false information, abuse of authority of office and possession of property reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime,” Katongo revealed.
“In the first count, Lt Gen Eric Chimese (Rtd) on dates unknown but between 1st January, 2018, and 31st January, 2019, jointly and whilst acting together with James Chungu and other persons unknown, did conceal a portion of a farm in Ibex on which nine fully-furnished flats, an up-stair house, a gym, visitors quarters and a semi-detached servants’ quarters have been constructed purporting to show that the said properties belong to Chita Lodges Limited, a company where James Chungu is a director, when in fact the properties in question are owned and were constructed by Lt General Chimese.”
The former ZAF commander is also accused of wilfully giving false information to authorised officers by stating that the said properties belonged to Chita Lodges when in fact not.
Katongo also disclosed that Chimese had been charged for abuse of authority of office by directing ZAF employees to do construction works at his properties.
“In count two, James Chungu on 31st January, 2019, did wilfully give false information to authorised officers by stating that the said properties where for Chita Lodges Limited when in fact not. In count three, Lt Gen Eric Chimese (Rtd.) abused his authority of office in his capacity as Zambia Air Force commander by directing the deployment of some Zambia Air Force employees to do construction works at his properties. In count four, Lt Gen. Chimese (Rtd.) did possess properties suspected to be proceeds of crime contrary to section 71 (1) of the Forfeiture of Proceeds of Crime Act. The Commission has since seized properties, which include 13 fully-furnished houses, one semi-detached house and a gym all within Lusaka. The accused persons are on police bond and will appear in court soon,” said Katongo.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- K1,500 surcharge for CBU students a fundraising venture – Kabwita - 12 Aug 2019
- PF has opened overnight street vending along Lusaka’s Lumumba Rd – Moonga - 12 Aug 2019
- Oasis Forum calls for withdrawal of Constitution bill - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs about US $660bn annually to achieve SDGs – UNCA - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs home-grown solutions for its challenges – Lungu - 8 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,567 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,532 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,319 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,643 view)
- Forget the Damn headline, did you get the message? (1,220 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend