by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Mukosha Funga on 15 Oct 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by John Chola on 11 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 11 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
14 perish in Chingola-Solwezi road bus accidentBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Apr 2019
14 people have died while 15 others have sustained serious injuries after a Solwezi-bound bus they were travelling in hit into a stationary truck.
The accident occurred Wednesday night at Emmanuel area along the Solwezi-Chingola road about 60Km east of Solwezi Boma involving a Zhong Tong bus belonging to the Scorpion Bus company.
Police spokesperson Esther Katongo confirmed the accident, saying it happened when the driver of the bus identified as Eddie Katoyo, aged 32, lost control of the vehicle and hit into a stationary Freightliner truck, which had a breakdown on the road.
“Involved was male Katoyo Eddie, aged 32, of Kambazhi area of Kalumbila District, who whilst driving a motor vehicle Zhong Tong bus registration number BCA 8977 property of Scorpion Bus Services along Solwezi – Chingola road in the direction of east to west hit into a stationary Freightliner articulated truck registration number ACZ 9253 ACP 3864T, which had a breakdown on the road and being under the charge of unknown person. The accident happened when Eddie Katoyo drove the said bus at an excessive speed and after overtaking several vehicles he lost control of the bus and went to hit into the rear part of the broken down Freightliner truck and trailer,” Katongo stated.
She stated that 14 people died due to the impact of the collision, while 15 others sustained serious injuries.
“Due to the impact of the collision, the following occupants of the bus sustained fatal injuries: Noble Nsofu; Mtonga Sllister; Savior Chungu Mulenga; Maron Chabala Kapambwe; Temwani Chifunda; Victor Khakeni; Boniface Chisala plus four unidentified male adult persons and three unidentified females bringing the total number of the dead to 14. Those that sustained serious injuries included three female adults and 12 male adults. All are admitted to Solwezi General Hospital. The bodies of the deceased are deposited in Solwezi General Hospital mortuary awaiting post mortem,” stated Katongo.
And Katongo stated that the driver of the bus is yet to be charged with 14 counts of causing death by dangerous driving.
Meanwhile, according to a statement issued by DMMU Communications Officer Racheal Mupanga, Vice-President Inonge Wina directed the DMMU National Coordinator Chanda Kabwe to ensure all funeral supplies and logistics were put in place to lessen the burden on the bereaved families.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Zambia’ll be a war zone in 2021 if violence isn’t curtailed – Mpombo - 15 Oct 2019
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala - 15 Oct 2019
- Zambia to pray for “wisdom to deal with hunger crisis” on Friday - 15 Oct 2019
- UTH hikes user fees - 14 Oct 2019
- Shang’ombo MP goes on hunger strike at Parley in protest against PF - 14 Oct 2019
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala (3,360 views)
- RDA, AVIC single sourcing deal pure corruption - Kambwili (1,438 view)
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba's legitimacy in court (1,365 view)
- UNZA congratulates Prof Nalubamba on his coronation as senior chief (1,141 view)
- UTH hikes user fees (1,048 view)
- Commission of Inquiry into violence report is public information – Chipampe
- Zambia’ll be a war zone in 2021 if violence isn’t curtailed – Mpombo
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba’s legitimacy in court
- Milupi doubts Zesco’s pending power import deal with Eskom
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Lusaka woman denies committing adultery with Patrick, Foreign Affairs PS
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies"
- PF moves Parley motion to ban UPND for 'supporting gay rights'
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend