Three male juveniles aged between five and 15 were burnt to death at Chichele Fishing Camp in Chief Chiwanangala in Chilubi District after a grass thatched house in which they were sleeping caught fire on June 16.

This is according to a statement issued by police spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo, Tuesday.

“The incident happened on 16th June, 2019 between 22 00 hours and 04 00 hours when the father of one of the victims only identified as ‘bashi Arbiton’ aged between 50 and 55 left the fire on after smoking fish and went to sleep,” Katongo stated.

“The fire later spread and gutted the house in which the victims were sleeping and they sustained serious burns and died on the spot while the father survived the inferno with burns and is admitted to Chilubi District Mainland Hospital.”

Katongo cautioned citizens to be extra careful not to leave any fire on during the cold season.

“The deceased have been identified as male juvenile Arbiton Mwansa aged 15, male juvenile Allan Lishuko aged eight (08) and male juvenile Lubuto aged five (05). The bodies have been buried and graves marked.
We have observed an increase in reports of fire incidences during cold seasons compared to other periods of the year. Some of the fires reported as Arson turn out to have been caused as a result of negligence on the part of occupants. From 01st June, 2019 to date, we have received 18 fire related cases of which eight (08) were reported as Arson while 10 were reported as fire incidences,” stated Katongo.

“We therefore advise members of the public to avoid leaving fire or other electrical appliances such as heaters unattended to especially during this cold time of year to avoid loss of life and property.
In the event of the load shedding being experienced Countrywide, we advise members of the public to avoid leaving candles on when going to sleep as they have high potential of causing fire.”