by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Julia Malunga on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019
ECZ not aware of PF’s early C/belt campaigns – ChimanseBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Jun 2019
Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) public relations manager Margaret Chimanse says the commission is not aware of the ruling Patriotic Front’s early election campaigns on the Copperbelt Province.
Earlier this month, Lusaka Province Minister Bowman Lusambo, who is Kabushi PF member of parliament, donated 4,000 25Kg bags of breakfast mealie-meal, 4,000 5 litre containers of cooking oil, 6,000 boxes of boom detergent paste, drinks and biscuits, among others, to senior citizens in his constituency.
He later distributed 1,000 pockets of cement to different schools with ongoing construction works in his constituency and donated 60 brand new computers.
“The people of Kabushi will never walk alone. There are people that don’t see what Edgar Lungu sees. It is not that they are blind, but because they have decided not to see what President Edgar Lungu is doing. Kabushi is a barrack of Edgar Chagwa Lungu. We have heard some flies, mosquitos, but we have doom here in Kabushi. We will spray doom on the mosquitos moving about. You just eat nshima with kapenta and you come and say you want to be MP in Kabushi, my friend, take your time. So, these mosquitos that are coming, let them just make that mosquito noise. Just tell them that bulldozer is bulldozer,” Lusambo said as he donated the goods worth over a million kwacha.
And around one week later, PF Copperbelt Provincial Chairman Nathan Chanda handed over some motorbikes for campaigns in Masaiti, Mpongwe and Lufwanyama at a meeting with party officials.
He further told the party officials to start party mobilization with immediate effect.
“In encouraging you party officials to conduct party mobilization, we are handing over the four motorbikes that the party headquarters in Lusaka donated from President Edgar Lungu through the secretary general, Mr Davis Mwila. These motorbikes are for Masaiti, Mpongwe and Lufwanyama Districts. We need to work together and love each other. Let us go and mobilize the party. Mobilization is not for the converted PF supporters. Let us go and mobilize to those that are not in PF. We need to grow the party because politics is about numbers and have all the 13 councillors in Mpongwe belong to PF. We should work hard,” Chanda said.
But when Chimanse was asked for ECZ’s position on PF’s early campaigns on the Copperbelt Province, and whether the party wasn’t breaching the Electoral Act, she told News Diggers in an interview that ECZ currently did not have a position on the issue because it was hearing about the incidents for the first time.
“We don’t have a position on that (early campaigns) yet because we are hearing it for the first time. We would have to confirm if that’s true, but the Electoral Code of Conduct just gives us powers on the campaign period, which is when we declare the campaign open. And we are looking at the campaigns now for Katuba, which is opening on July 11 and going on up to 30th,” said Chimanse.
“ECZ administers elections, and as part of that mandate, regulates conduct of electoral campaigns once campaign period has been prescribed. The Electoral Code of Conduct regulates campaigns once prescribed. The Public Order Act ordinarily governs public order beyond campaign periods.”
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- 7 Lumwana expatriates were lawfully fired, company tells court - 20 Sep 2019
- LAZ asks ConCourt to throw out Musoma’s suit over Bill 10 - 20 Sep 2019
- Tutwa reports Sangwa to LAZ for “professional misconduct” - 19 Sep 2019
- ConCourt sets Sept 27 for ruling on preliminary issues in LAZ Bill 10 case - 19 Sep 2019
- 120 people sue UPPZ leader for fraud over land - 18 Sep 2019
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (3,443 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (1,416 view)
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa (1,012 view)
- Lungu’s continued association with Findlay damaging the Presidency - KBF (988 views)
- It’s against separation of powers for Parley to supervise executive - PF (907 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Zambians have now turned to charcoal, forests are depleting
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa
- Solwezi man wins K67,147 from K5 bet
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend