by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
PF has delivered opposite of “lower taxes, more jobs” promise – HamududuBy Mirriam Chabala on 9 Jul 2019
Party of National Unity (PNU) president Highvie Hamududu has urged government to come up with bold and radical measures in the 2020 budget that will bring about the much needed fiscal consolidation for attainment of economic stability and put the country’s economy on a robust growth path.
In a statement to News Diggers! Monday, Hamududu wondered why government was implementing the opposite of what the party promised the people of Zambia in 2011 which was lower taxes, more jobs and to put more money in people’s pockets.
“The 2020 national budget is very critical for PF government in putting the economy on a recovery path which has eluded them so far. It is very clear for all to see that the current 2019 national budget does not speak to the much needed fiscal consolidation and economic stimulation that is so necessary for economic stability and growth. Bold and radical measures are needed in the 2020 budget to bring about the much needed fiscal consolidation for attainment of economic stability and put the economy on a robust growth path. The government cannot continue with a business as usual in economic management as it cannot resolve the economic dilemma we are in. Zambian economic challenges have not reached insurmountable levels,” Hamududu noted.
“What is needed now is to defy the normal routine and bit the bullet and that should begin with radical and bold measures in the 2020 budget. For example, the government need to lower taxes to stimulate the economy. The country needs to have a competitive tax regime that attracts investment and promotes growth. Ghana has just done exactly that, now it is one of the fastest growing economy in sub-saharan Africa. Ghana has done exactly what PF promised the people in 2011 by lowering taxes. So PF government must implement its campaign motto of ‘lower taxes, more jobs and more money in people’s pockets’ because it is the correct thing to do and that is why people agreed with them in 2011 and gave them the mandate.”
Hamududu challenged the PF administration to honour the promises it made to the people of Zambia about nine years ago by coming up with a budget that reflected lower taxes.
“It is surprising how PF is doing the opposite of what they stand for, that is, ‘lower taxes, more jobs and more money in people’s pockets’. The 2020 national budget should reflect their motto of lower taxes that will stimulate growth and therefore, creating more jobs and putting more money in people’s pockets. As patriots, we wish the government success because it is good for the citizens. If they succeed, then we have all succeeded, but they must take time to listen, especially to critical voices because criticism is what builds,” said Hamududu.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi - 13 Sep 2019
- Lungu must take his Parliament address seriously, people are distressed – Mweetwa - 13 Sep 2019
- Quitting politics has nothing to do with my brother’s appointment at BoZ – Chipimo - 12 Sep 2019
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 12 Sep 2019
- Unless you kill me, arrests only make me add volume – Kambwili - 12 Sep 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (3,156 views)
- How will judges rule on Bill 10 after submitting to Parley? (1,992 view)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,725 view)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (1,665 view)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (1,083 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend