- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Nov 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 24 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Laura Miti on 24 Nov 2017by The Washington Post on 16 Nov 2017by Times of Zambia employees on 15 Nov 2017by Lulu Wood on 10 Nov 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
Speaker defends decision to punish UPND MPs over boycottBy Elias Banda on 6 Apr 2017
SPEAKER of the National Assembly Patrick Matibini has contended that there is nothing irrational about his decision reprimand 54 UPND members of parliament for boycotting official opening of Parliament last September.
In a High-Court filed affidavit signed by deputy clerk- Administration of the National Assembly of Zambia Cecilia Nsenduluka Mbewe, the Speaker opposed the application for judicial review saying the he is guided by law in making such decisions and that he acted in accordance with the Law.
Mbewe contended that the matter was not fit for investigation because the Speaker or an officer of the National Assembly had exclusive cognizance and jurisdiction in the exercise of any power vested in them by the Constitution.
The MPs are expected to file their reply on May 3 and hearing would resume on May 12 before judge Susan Wanjelani.
The UPND members of parliament in this case applied for leave to commence judicial review proceedings against Speaker Matibini’s decision.
About Elias Banda
Elias Banda is interested in lifestyle and human interest stories and he brings a unique perspective.
Email: elias [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kamondo urges ConCourt to dismiss Masumba’s appeal - 29 May 2017
- Keith Mukata’s ‘wife’ attracts attention at court - 19 May 2017
- Judge Nkonde stops LAZ from joining Post case - 5 May 2017
- ZRA wants to hide corruption, UPP tells Court - 2 May 2017
- Court refuses to quash Nchima’s personation charge - 21 Apr 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend