by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 26 Apr 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 26 Apr 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 26 Apr 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 26 Apr 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 27 Mar 2019by Abraham Kalito on 26 Mar 2019by Abraham Kalito on 26 Mar 2019by Abraham Kalito on 26 Mar 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 26 Apr 2019by Derrick Silimina on 26 Apr 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 26 Apr 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 25 Apr 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 26 Apr 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 26 Apr 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 26 Apr 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 25 Apr 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019by Diggers Reporter on 17 Jan 2019
by Diggers Editor on 26 Apr 2019by Diggers Editor on 25 Apr 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Apr 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Apr 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 23 Apr 2019by Felix Kashweka on 2 Apr 2019by Thomas Mulenga on 29 Mar 2019by McQueen Zaza on 26 Mar 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Dr Munyonzwe Hamalengwa on 18 Apr 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 14 Apr 2019by Dr Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 28 Mar 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 25 Mar 2019
It wasn’t easy, says Chambeshi as Zambia gears for IranBy Joseph Mwenda on 21 May 2017
Under-20 national team coach Beston Chambeshi is delighted to see Zambia start their 2017 FIFA U20 World Cup campaign with a victory.
Zambia downed Portugal 2-1 on Sunday to go top of Group C in their opening game of the tournament in Jeju, South Korea.
Goals from Edward Chilufya and Fashion Sakala handed Zambia the 3 points in their first-ever meeting against Portugal.
“Portugal wasn’t easy. They played a good game, they put up a good fight especially in the first half. Tactically, they wanted to score an early goal but we held them, which was good for the team,” said Chambeshi.
“I am happy with the way the defence played and the goalkeeper too. It wasn’t easy but, yes, our game plan was to hold them in the first half and see how we could handle them in the second half.”
Zambia now face second placed Iran in their penultimate Group C match on May 24 in Jeju, which if they win will see them progress to the last 16.
Iran beat Costa Rica 1-0 in the second Group C match also played in Jeju earlier today.
During the game against Portugal, Edward Chilufya and Fashion Sakala continued from where they left off at the U20 AfCON in March to set to the tone for Zambia.
Chilufya put Zambia ahead in the 51st minute when he pounced on the rebound after Portuguese goalie parried Enock Mwepu’s shot.
Sakala then put the result beyond doubt in the 75th minute with a fine volley.
However, Portugal pulled one back in stoppage to through Helder to see the two-time champions end the match with a semblance of respect.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Court to rule on case to answer in GBM “Lungu’s throat” matter - 25 Apr 2019
- Party hierarchy will advise GBM to apply to rejoin PF – Kamba - 25 Apr 2019
- OSISA investigative training graduates give testimonies - 22 Mar 2019
- Miners take govt, employers to task over job losses, mining tax regime - 22 Mar 2019
- Launch of News Diggers, OSISA Investigative and Fact-checking course - 22 Mar 2019
- Nkomeshya's Soli Establishment obtains injunction to halt ZAF, Kingsland City project
- Debt servicing has left govt little money to meet obligations – BoZ
- NDC will work with UPND in 2021 if Zambians want us to - Kambwili
- ZAF officer in court for torturing 11-year-old niece
- KBF shouldn’t show himself at PF’s 2020 convention, warns Kamba
- Mines will pay higher electricity tariffs, says Zesco
- Kwacha’s depreciation triggered by reduced dollar supply — BoZ
- Dora explains performance contracts for civil servants
- Only Lungu can accept GBM back in PF before MCCs decide – Mwila
- Former Zanaco employee sues bank for non-payment of K16.1 million bonus
Subscribe for email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend