- by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017
- by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 14 Aug 2017
- by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Charles Mafa on 15 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
Zambia 4-3 GermanyBy Diggers Reporter on 31 May 2017
Chipolopolo this afternoon lost, drew, won, drew again before winning 4-3 in a grueling World Cup encounter against Germany.
Zambia rebounded to ensure their 2017 FIFA U20 World Cup ambitions were taken seriously after eliminating Germany in the last 16 of the tournament in a dramatic extra-time contest in Jeju.
The 2017 U20 AFCON champions came from behind twice to stun 1981 World champions Germany 4-3 at their lucky base in Jeju where they departed with a 100 percent record from three games played there.
Zesco United defender Shemmy Mayembe’s goal in the 30th minutes of extra-time, after a 3-3 full-time draw, sent Zambia through to their debut FIFA U20 World Cup quarterfinals.
It was a massive relief for coach Beston Chambeshi after Zambia lost 1-0 to Costa Rica in their final Group C match on May 27 but still advanced as pool winners to book their last 16 date with Germany.
But Zambia earned that quarterfinal ticket the hard way after Philipp Ochs fired-in superb free-kick in the 37th minute to see Germany take a 1-0 halftime lead.
Emmanuel Banda equalized in the 49th minute, Fashion Sakala then put Zambia ahead in the 68th minute to score his third of the tournament.
Enokc Mwepu made it 3-0 in the 86th minute… but the drama did not end there.
Germany then hit back with two late goals from Suat Serdar in the 89th minute and Jonas Arweiler 5 seconds before the end of stoppage time to force matters to be decided in the 30 minutes of extra time.
Mayembe put the result beyond doubt with a fine shot in the 107th minute to score his debut international goal.
Zambia now await Thursday’s winner between 2013 champions France or Italy in the June 5 quarterfinal to be played in Suwon.
Zambia’s quarterfinal qualification comes in their third World Cup outing after making group stage exit in 1999 in Nigeria and a last 16 placing at the Canada 2007 event.
About Diggers Reporter
- Zambia finally train in Ndola after 24 hour delay - 16 Aug 2017
- ConCourt refuses to join Lungu to 2021 eligibility case - 16 Aug 2017
- ConCourt allows inmates to vote - 16 Aug 2017
- Wedson upbeat despite Chipolopolo draw with Bafana - 13 Aug 2017
- Lsk man gets one year for stealing two Bibles - 10 Aug 2017
You may also like...
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend