- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Shepolopolo gets team of the year nominationBy Abraham Kalito on 5 Dec 2019
The Female national soccer team has been shortlisted among the top five countries in Africa earmarked to be crowned team of the year following a robust performance in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics qualifiers and the COSAFA cup.
Zambia was shortlisted among the top five teams in Africa following the conclusion of the first phase of the voting.
Women’s National soccer team coach Bruce Mwape was also shortlisted among the top five women’s team trainers when a shortlist of nominees from various categories for the 28th edition of the annual CAF Awards was unveiled.
The Copper queens have bull dozed their way up the ladder in the qualifiers and made it to the last two teams across the continent to be on the blink of qualification for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Shepolopolo however still have a huge milestone ahead of their historic qualification as they face Cameroon in the last round of the qualifiers.
The two countries will battle it out next month over two legs to decide who takes up the automatic Olympic slot for Africa with the loser having another shot through a play-off match against Chile.
Voting from a CAF Technical & Development Committee and a panel of media experts with emphasis on the nominees’ performance during the year under review, 2019 is the only criteria used to arrive at the shortlist of nominees.
Head Coaches/Technical Directors and Captains of senior national teams from CAF Member Associations, will vote in the final phase to select men’s and women’s African Player of the Year, as well as the male and female Coach of the Year.
Head Coaches and Captains of the group phase of the current season of CAF Inter-clubs competitions will select the Inter-clubs Player of the Year.
Winners for each category will be announced during the CAF Awards ceremony on Tuesday, 7 January 2020, at the Albatros Citadel Sahl Hasheesh, Hurghada, Egypt.
About Abraham Kalito
Abraham Kalito is interested in writing business, political, and human interest stories.
- FAZ halts stadia re-development plans - 26 Mar 2020
- I’ve made it in life – Esther Phiri - 25 Mar 2020
- CAF sanctions FAZ over fans’ unruly behaviour - 25 Mar 2020
- Nkana FC joins COVID-19 sensitisation campaigns - 25 Mar 2020
- FAZ presidential hopeful Joseph Nkole to introduce technical sponsorship - 22 Mar 2020
- Zambian student chased from Chinese University over suspected COVID-19 (19,793 views)
- Sangwa asks Lungu to declare State of Emergency (12,029 views)
- Coronavirus cases jump to 16 (7,815 views)
- Ba UPND, Osasunga evidence monga reg, give us imweee! (5,007 views)
- Police guard NDC MP after residents threaten to torch him over Bill 10 position (4,808 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «March 2020»
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- LCC not ready for COVID-19, says Mayor
- COVID-19 cases rise to 22
- Topstar removes Prime TV from its platforms
- Empower local pharmacists to manufacture COVID-19 drugs, Kanyika urges govt
- Police guard NDC MP after residents threaten to torch him over Bill 10 position
- Zambian Judiciary disregarded rule of law on Sangwa ban – IBA
- Sangwa asks Lungu to declare State of Emergency
- Castle Lager postpones 2020 Africa 5s due to COVID-19
- Coronavirus forces Lusaka’s Taj Pamodzi Hotel to close
- FAZ halts stadia re-development plans
- Court revokes arrest warrants issued against Kamanga, 5 others
- Coronavirus cases jump to 16
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend