- by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Oct 2017by William Chileshe on 17 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Oct 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017by William Chileshe on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 12 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
IG confirms treason charge against HH, 5 othersBy Sipilisiwe Ncube and Mirriam Chabala on 12 Apr 2017
Inspector General of police Kakoma Kanganja has confirmed at a press breifing today that UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema has been jointly charged with treason along with five other people.
Kanganja says HH faces Treason, disobeying lawful orders and using insulting language, among other charges.
Jointly charged with HH are Lastone Mulilandumba, Muleya Haachenda, Walace Chakwa, Pretornous Haloba and Hamusonde Hamaleka.
“I would like to inform the nation that we have jointly charged and arrested Mr Hichilema and five others; 1. Treason contrary to section 43 (1) (a) 2.Disobedience to lawful orders contrary to section 127 of the penal code. 3.Disobeying of statutory duty contrary to section 126 of the penal code of the laws of Zambia (rule No. 222 of the High Way Code) And 4. Use of insulting language contrary to section 179 of the penal code,” Kanganja said.
Kanganja said actions by HH were unreasonable, reckless and criminal in nature.
“Therefore, members of the public are being warned that as police, we are not going to watch such kind of behaviour by any person irrespective of their status or political affiliation. We shall ensure that all those that would want to cause unnecessary anarchy are arrested and prosecuted,” Kanganja said.
He explained that police could not charge HH yesterday because one of his lawyers requested that other lawyers should be present when charging the opposition leader, adding that the said lawyers never showed up.
Kanganja said the same lawyer further suggested that HH must be charged today (Wednesday) when all lawyers would be present.
Kanganja further explained that HH would remain in detention until the Director of Public Prosecutions Lillian Siyunyi, decides to take him to court upon studying the docket, which had not yet been submitted to her.
He added that: “12 other UPND members were arrested for obstracting police officers in the due execution of duty which is contrary to section 250 (b) of the penal code”.
Meanwhile, Kanganja said he had received threats to his life and his family members, but stressed that he would not resign because he was not a coward.
“Yes it’s true that there has been threats on my family and the family of three other senior government officials. There has been no political pressure on me, and I do not get instructions from anyone. I cannot resign over unfounded allegations,” said Kanganja.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Chisamba woman kills step daughter, buries her at home - 17 Oct 2017
- ACC must publish findings on Kambwili – Mwila - 17 Oct 2017
- UPND demands formal invitation for HH to attend prayer day - 16 Oct 2017
- US Embassy give $55,000 grant to 6 Zambian communities - 16 Oct 2017
- Chiefs must help heal Zambia, not aggravate division – Shakumbila - 15 Oct 2017
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Mwila reserves party position on calls for Mulusa’s dismissal - 17 Oct 2017
- ERB increases fuel prices again - 17 Oct 2017
- UNZA’s huge tuition fee increment is theft – ZANASU - 17 Oct 2017
- Kambwili tones down: “I’m off politicking for now” - 17 Oct 2017
- TIZ elevates Lifuka to vice-chairperson global - 16 Oct 2017
You may also like...
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend