by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Jun 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Jun 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Jun 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Jun 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 10 Jun 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Jun 2019by Abraham Kalito on 21 May 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 May 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 14 Jun 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Jun 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Jun 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Jun 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Jun 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Jun 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Jun 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Jun 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Jun 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Jun 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Jun 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Jun 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 7 Jun 2019by Mukosha Funga on 30 May 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 May 2019by Sampa Kabwela on 18 May 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chibamba Kanyama on 11 Jun 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 28 May 2019by Guest Digger on 22 May 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 21 May 2019
IG confirms treason charge against HH, 5 othersBy Sipilisiwe Ncube and Mirriam Chabala on 12 Apr 2017
Inspector General of police Kakoma Kanganja has confirmed at a press breifing today that UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema has been jointly charged with treason along with five other people.
Kanganja says HH faces Treason, disobeying lawful orders and using insulting language, among other charges.
Jointly charged with HH are Lastone Mulilandumba, Muleya Haachenda, Walace Chakwa, Pretornous Haloba and Hamusonde Hamaleka.
“I would like to inform the nation that we have jointly charged and arrested Mr Hichilema and five others; 1. Treason contrary to section 43 (1) (a) 2.Disobedience to lawful orders contrary to section 127 of the penal code. 3.Disobeying of statutory duty contrary to section 126 of the penal code of the laws of Zambia (rule No. 222 of the High Way Code) And 4. Use of insulting language contrary to section 179 of the penal code,” Kanganja said.
Kanganja said actions by HH were unreasonable, reckless and criminal in nature.
“Therefore, members of the public are being warned that as police, we are not going to watch such kind of behaviour by any person irrespective of their status or political affiliation. We shall ensure that all those that would want to cause unnecessary anarchy are arrested and prosecuted,” Kanganja said.
He explained that police could not charge HH yesterday because one of his lawyers requested that other lawyers should be present when charging the opposition leader, adding that the said lawyers never showed up.
Kanganja said the same lawyer further suggested that HH must be charged today (Wednesday) when all lawyers would be present.
Kanganja further explained that HH would remain in detention until the Director of Public Prosecutions Lillian Siyunyi, decides to take him to court upon studying the docket, which had not yet been submitted to her.
He added that: “12 other UPND members were arrested for obstracting police officers in the due execution of duty which is contrary to section 250 (b) of the penal code”.
Meanwhile, Kanganja said he had received threats to his life and his family members, but stressed that he would not resign because he was not a coward.
“Yes it’s true that there has been threats on my family and the family of three other senior government officials. There has been no political pressure on me, and I do not get instructions from anyone. I cannot resign over unfounded allegations,” said Kanganja.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF Chifubu MP clobbers wife, but says “we never fought, she just had high BP” - 14 Jun 2019
- PF social media crack squad welcome, but shouldn’t impede people’s rights – MP - 13 Jun 2019
- Debt disclosure shouldn’t be precondition for African State’s bilateral ties – Mwamba - 13 Jun 2019
- Lifestyle audits are rubbish, it’s not a crime for ministers to build – Bowman - 13 Jun 2019
- Long Acres Barclays employee on the run after stealing $400,000 - 13 Jun 2019
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF eager to grab Katuba, as UPND vows to retain seat - 15 Jun 2019
- Only criminals would want FIC’s report concealed – CSOs - 15 Jun 2019
- UNZALARU rejects plan to confer Lungu with good governance Doctorate - 14 Jun 2019
- Zesco needs competition to narrow Zambia’s power deficit – ZACCI - 13 Jun 2019
- Confirm John Kasanga as FIC board chairman, demands Nyasulu - 13 Jun 2019
- Shut up Katele, you escaped corruption charges, went to hide in a laptop - Kambwili
- Go ahead, close FIC and steal in peace...
- UNZALARU rejects plan to confer Lungu with good governance Doctorate
- PF eager to grab Katuba, as UPND vows to retain seat
- Govt gangs up against FIC boss, as Kasolo declares Chirwa unprofessional
- Sampa’s ex-wife wants court to compel LCC to pay her K7,000 out of his earnings
- PF eager to grab Katuba, as UPND vows to retain seat
- Only criminals would want FIC’s report concealed – CSOs
- Go ahead, close FIC and steal in peace…
- PF Chifubu MP clobbers wife, but says “we never fought, she just had high BP”
Subscribe for email alerts
ArchivesJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend