- by Joseph Mwenya on 18 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Daniel Chansa on 18 Dec 2017by Godfrey Dube on 18 Dec 2017by Godfrey Dube on 18 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 17 Dec 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Kalaba asks AU to quicken relocation of ECOSOCC secretariat to LusakaBy Joseph Mwenda on 2 Jul 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs Harry Kalaba has urged the African Union Executive Council to quickly finalize the logistics and financing for the relocation of the ECOSOCC secretariat to Lusaka.
The Economic, Social and Cultural Council (ECOSOCC) was established as an advisory organ of the AU to promote the African civil society in the integration and development agenda of the continent and implantation of programs such as peace, security, social and economic.
This is according to Zambia’s First Secretary for Press and Tourism at the Embassy in Ethiopia, Inutu Mwanza.
Speaking during the 31st Ordinary Session of the Executive Council in Addis Ababa Ethiopia, Kalaba urged the Executive Council to direct the African Union Commission to urgently appoint an interim ECOSOCC Director who would supervise the preparations of all logistics pertaining to the operations of the interim structure.
Kalaba said the Zambian Government has reaffirmed its Committiment to hosting ECOSOCC by hosting an AU Evaluation Mission to Lusaka whose purpose was to establish Zambia’s readiness to host the ECOSOCC Secretariat.
He said the evaluation team from AU was taken on a tour of proposed office space for the interim secretariat including proposed accommodation for the executive secretary.
The Foreign Affairs Minister further said the evaluation mission was also shown a preliminary blue print design of the permanent ECOSOCC Secretariat and was requested to submit a check list of requirements to enable the finalization of the blue print design by the Zambian government.
He expressed concern that to date the recruitment of staff by the AU Commissions has not progressed and the absence of devoted staff to the organ has diminished the advisory role of the organ.
Kalaba observed that currently only staff from the Department of Citizen and Diaspora Organization are attached to the organ.
He also said the information requested by the government of Zambia regarding the establishment and staffing of the interim secretariat has not been availed, a predicament which he said was hindering government’s efforts to support the execution.
ECOSOCC is currently hosted within the department of Citizens and diaspora organisation (SIDO) in the African Union Commission.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF mourns Chief Shibuchinga - 17 Dec 2017
- Police ‘condemn’ beating of CBU student, but deny killing him - 11 Dec 2017
- UNHCR begs for funding as more Congolese flee into Zambia - 11 Dec 2017
- LAZ STATEMENT ON “MISLEADING MEDIA REPORTS” AGAINST THE ASSOCIATION - 11 Dec 2017
- Consent order between judge Nkonde and State is criminal – Changala - 9 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend