- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Oct 2017by Linda Jere on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Police arrest student for defaming Lungu, ministersBy Mukosha Funga on 25 Jul 2017
Police have arrested a 35-year-old DMI St Eugene University student for allegedly defaming President Edgar Lungu, ministers and others on Facebook.
In a statement today, Police Spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo revealed that Edward Makayi was using a pseudo name on social media.
“We have arrested a student of DMI St Eugene University in Lusaka identified as Edward Makayi aged 35 years in connection with Publication of Defamatory Statements on his Facebook page created in the name Royson Edwards M. The suspect is a student in the School off Engineering at the said University. The defamatory remarks which were authored and posted between April, 2017 and July, 2017 were targeted at the Republican President, His Excellency, Mr Edgar Chagwa Lungu, Home Affairs Minister, Hon. Stephen Kampyongo, Minister of Agriculture, Hon. Dora Siliya and Inspector General of Police, Mr Kakoma Kanganja.
Others are Deputy Secretary General of the Patriotic Front, Mrs Mumbi Phiri and Presidential Press Aid, Mr Amos Chanda,” Katongo stated.
“The suspect is scheduled to appear in Court on Thursday, 27th July, 2017 for the offence of Defamation of the President which is contrary to Section 59 of Cap 87 of the Laws of Zambia. He is yet to be slapped with other charges for defaming and use of insulting language against Senior Government officials and other persons.”
Katongo warned that police were working with ZICTA to catch all those using social media to issue derogatory remarks.
“We wish to inform Members of the Public that investigations in other cases where people are using social media to make defamatory and insulting remarks have continued. The Zambia Police working in conjunction with ZICTA have intensified investigations in crimes committed through social media and we hope to bring more culprits to book,” stated Katongo.
“In view of the above, members of the Public are forewarned to desist from posting insults and defamatory remarks before the long arm of the Law catches up with them. We also wish to caution all those fond of opening fake accounts on social media using false particulars that such deception will not protect them from prosecution as Law enforcement officers are able to trace your real identity.”
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Until Jesus comes, UPND will never produce a President – Mwila - 21 Oct 2017
- Come in numbers, Kanyama rally is on – GBM - 21 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition – JCC - 20 Oct 2017
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows - 20 Oct 2017
- Ministry warns of Cholera spread if UPND rally goes ahead - 20 Oct 2017
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend