by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Oct 2019by Julia Malunga on 18 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Oct 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 17 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 18 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Douty Chibamba on 19 Oct 2019by Felicity Kayumba Kalunga on 18 Oct 2019by Patricia Scotland, Commonwealth Secretary-General on 17 Oct 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
Police arrest student for defaming Lungu, ministersBy Mukosha Funga on 25 Jul 2017
Police have arrested a 35-year-old DMI St Eugene University student for allegedly defaming President Edgar Lungu, ministers and others on Facebook.
In a statement today, Police Spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo revealed that Edward Makayi was using a pseudo name on social media.
“We have arrested a student of DMI St Eugene University in Lusaka identified as Edward Makayi aged 35 years in connection with Publication of Defamatory Statements on his Facebook page created in the name Royson Edwards M. The suspect is a student in the School off Engineering at the said University. The defamatory remarks which were authored and posted between April, 2017 and July, 2017 were targeted at the Republican President, His Excellency, Mr Edgar Chagwa Lungu, Home Affairs Minister, Hon. Stephen Kampyongo, Minister of Agriculture, Hon. Dora Siliya and Inspector General of Police, Mr Kakoma Kanganja.
Others are Deputy Secretary General of the Patriotic Front, Mrs Mumbi Phiri and Presidential Press Aid, Mr Amos Chanda,” Katongo stated.
“The suspect is scheduled to appear in Court on Thursday, 27th July, 2017 for the offence of Defamation of the President which is contrary to Section 59 of Cap 87 of the Laws of Zambia. He is yet to be slapped with other charges for defaming and use of insulting language against Senior Government officials and other persons.”
Katongo warned that police were working with ZICTA to catch all those using social media to issue derogatory remarks.
“We wish to inform Members of the Public that investigations in other cases where people are using social media to make defamatory and insulting remarks have continued. The Zambia Police working in conjunction with ZICTA have intensified investigations in crimes committed through social media and we hope to bring more culprits to book,” stated Katongo.
“In view of the above, members of the Public are forewarned to desist from posting insults and defamatory remarks before the long arm of the Law catches up with them. We also wish to caution all those fond of opening fake accounts on social media using false particulars that such deception will not protect them from prosecution as Law enforcement officers are able to trace your real identity.”
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- Unaccounted for stores jumped from K6m in 2017 to K134m in 2018 – Auditor General - 17 Oct 2019
- TIZ raises red flag against Govt, AVIC on Kafulafuta, Sata Toll Plazas - 8 Oct 2019
- Govt single-sourced AVIC…to construct the $4.3m Toll Plaza which broke down months later - 7 Oct 2019
- Kaoma police nab UPND cadre in shooting incident - 6 Oct 2019
- DEC withdraws summon on Findlay - 3 Oct 2019
- Police should not wear masks (2,710 views)
- Phiri explains heavy police presence in Lusaka's CBD (2,428 views)
- Benny Zulu led us to the crime scene for reconstruction, Cop tells court (1,723 view)
- Namugala curtails homosexuality debates (1,496 view)
- You're being dared, pull up your socks, Kampyongo tells law enforcement agencies (1,029 view)
- Load shedding: The underlying causes that we are overlooking
- Tough decisions will be made despite close 2021 polls – Lungu
- The Proposed 2019 Constitution Amendment Bill: A Threat to Zambia’s Democracy?
- Police should not wear masks
- SA’s renewed load shedding puts Zesco power import deal at risk – Eskom
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend