- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 12 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Conflicting versions of ‘slapping’ scuffle force Speaker to refer case to Parliamentary Committee on PrivilegesBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 11 Oct 2017
Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini has asked the Parliamentary Committee on Privileges, Absences, and Support Services to investigate and make recommendations on the scuffle between Chishimba Kambwili and his fellow PF MPs.
Making a ruling yesterday, Speaker Matibini observed that Kambwili’s point of order contained a conflicting version of events from his Mandevu counterpart Jean Kapata’s counter point of order.
“The House will recall that on Tuesday 3rd October 2017 when the House was considering questions for oral answer No.41 and Mr Kasuta Michelo MP for Bweengwa constituency was speaking, Dr Chishimba Kambwili member of parliament for Roan constituency raised a point of order against honorable Bowman Lusambo MP and Minister for the Copperbelt Province and honorable Jean Kapata MP, Minister of Lands and Natural Resources. In his point of order, the member of parliament for Roan wondered whether the two honorable Ministers were in order to physically assault him within the precincts of parliament,” Dr Matibini said.
“The House will further recall that the point of order by the honorable member of parliament for Roan was followed by another point of order by the honorable Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, in her point of order, the honorable Minister wondered whether the member of parliament for Roan was in order to call her a thief on several radio stations as well as within the precincts of parliament.”
Dr Matibini said because the two points of orders had conflicting versions, he referred the matter to the parliamentary committee on privileges, absences and support services for further investigations.
“In my immediate remarks, I reserved my ruling on both points of orders to enable me investigate both the matters. Honorable members, in view of the fact that the points of orders raised by Dr C Kambwili MP raises potentially conflicting versions or a context of what transpired on the material day, I have found it necessary to refer this matter to the committee on privileges, absences and support services to enable the committee fully investigate what transpired on the material day and in due course, make appropriate recommendations to the House. Similarly, I have decided to refer the point of order raised by honorable Jean Kapata MP again to the committee on privileges, absences and support services for further consideration and making appropriate recommendations, I thank you,” said Matibini.
The Parliamentary Committee on Privileges, Absences and Support Services is composed of Monze UPND member of parliament Jack Mwiimbu, Chiengi FDD member of parliament Given Katuta, Kanyama PF member of parliament Elizabeth Phiri, Mazabuka Central UPND member of parliament Garry Nkombo, Chililabombwe PF’s Richard Musukwa, Kabwata PF member of parliament Given Lubinda, and Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly Catherine Namugala.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- New US Envoy pledges support towards electoral reforms - 15 Dec 2017
- I respect Lungu but I will insult him if he wants me to – Musenge - 14 Dec 2017
- PF cadres attack NDC officials at 5fm - 14 Dec 2017
- ZAM disapproves Pilato’s Koswe Mumpoto song - 13 Dec 2017
- COBUSU members have been suspended for causing riots – Luo - 13 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend