- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017by William Chileshe on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 12 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Conflicting versions of ‘slapping’ scuffle force Speaker to refer case to Parliamentary Committee on PrivilegesBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 11 Oct 2017
Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini has asked the Parliamentary Committee on Privileges, Absences, and Support Services to investigate and make recommendations on the scuffle between Chishimba Kambwili and his fellow PF MPs.
Making a ruling yesterday, Speaker Matibini observed that Kambwili’s point of order contained a conflicting version of events from his Mandevu counterpart Jean Kapata’s counter point of order.
“The House will recall that on Tuesday 3rd October 2017 when the House was considering questions for oral answer No.41 and Mr Kasuta Michelo MP for Bweengwa constituency was speaking, Dr Chishimba Kambwili member of parliament for Roan constituency raised a point of order against honorable Bowman Lusambo MP and Minister for the Copperbelt Province and honorable Jean Kapata MP, Minister of Lands and Natural Resources. In his point of order, the member of parliament for Roan wondered whether the two honorable Ministers were in order to physically assault him within the precincts of parliament,” Dr Matibini said.
“The House will further recall that the point of order by the honorable member of parliament for Roan was followed by another point of order by the honorable Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, in her point of order, the honorable Minister wondered whether the member of parliament for Roan was in order to call her a thief on several radio stations as well as within the precincts of parliament.”
Dr Matibini said because the two points of orders had conflicting versions, he referred the matter to the parliamentary committee on privileges, absences and support services for further investigations.
“In my immediate remarks, I reserved my ruling on both points of orders to enable me investigate both the matters. Honorable members, in view of the fact that the points of orders raised by Dr C Kambwili MP raises potentially conflicting versions or a context of what transpired on the material day, I have found it necessary to refer this matter to the committee on privileges, absences and support services to enable the committee fully investigate what transpired on the material day and in due course, make appropriate recommendations to the House. Similarly, I have decided to refer the point of order raised by honorable Jean Kapata MP again to the committee on privileges, absences and support services for further consideration and making appropriate recommendations, I thank you,” said Matibini.
The Parliamentary Committee on Privileges, Absences and Support Services is composed of Monze UPND member of parliament Jack Mwiimbu, Chiengi FDD member of parliament Given Katuta, Kanyama PF member of parliament Elizabeth Phiri, Mazabuka Central UPND member of parliament Garry Nkombo, Chililabombwe PF’s Richard Musukwa, Kabwata PF member of parliament Given Lubinda, and Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly Catherine Namugala.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Stop using criminal justice system to target critics, Amnesty International tells Lungu - 18 Oct 2017
- Chisamba woman kills step daughter, buries her at home - 17 Oct 2017
- ACC must publish findings on Kambwili – Mwila - 17 Oct 2017
- UPND demands formal invitation for HH to attend prayer day - 16 Oct 2017
- US Embassy give $55,000 grant to 6 Zambian communities - 16 Oct 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend