by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Reporter on 15 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Sep 2019
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Voter apathy needs postmortem – ECZBy Mirriam Chabala on 30 Jul 2018
The Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) says it is disappointed with the low voter turnout demonstrated in the just ended Mayoral by-election which has drastically reduced from over 50% to about 16%.
ECZ Public relations Manager Margaret Chimanse told News Diggers in an interview that the voter turnout was generally very low, even though she abstained from comparing the turnout to previous elections that the country has held.
“This is the first Mayoral by-election we’ve had so we cannot really compare it to any other election. It’s different when you vote with other general elections because people tend to come for all the other elections and vote, so you can’t really compare it. It’s the first time we are having a big by-election like this one. But generally, this voter turnout was low, it was very low. I wouldn’t really know why people chose not to vote but this is something we would like to find out as ECZ. I think all of us have to sit down and see why voters did not come out to vote. There are many players in the electoral process, we have political players, we have the Church, we also have the Electoral Commission of Zambia, and all of us a role to play. So I think we need to sit down and find strategic ways of engaging the electorate so that they come and vote,” she said.
“This is not something you can just sit alone and think to say ‘what happened?’ but you need to do a deeper analysis and understand what went wrong. So I think that is what we need to do going forward so that we see where we can improve. Otherwise, this is disappointing, it’s concerning. It’s not a good thing at all, that’s why I am saying that we must sit down together with other stakeholders and see the way forward,” said Chimanse.
On Friday, July 2016, Lusaka residents elected Patriotic Front (PF) candidate Miles Sampa as the new mayor of the City, taking over from the late Wilson Kalumba to keep the Lusaka City Council under the ruling party’s charge.
However, officials, including the Republican President Edgar Lungu, bemoaned the low voter turnout in which only less than 20 per cent of all registered voters in Lusaka took part in the election.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi - 13 Sep 2019
- Lungu must take his Parliament address seriously, people are distressed – Mweetwa - 13 Sep 2019
- Quitting politics has nothing to do with my brother’s appointment at BoZ – Chipimo - 12 Sep 2019
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 12 Sep 2019
- Unless you kill me, arrests only make me add volume – Kambwili - 12 Sep 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it - Lungu (2,622 views)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (2,606 views)
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them (1,463 view)
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi (1,310 view)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,266 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend