- by Mukosha Funga on 22 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 22 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
CBU students riot over meal allowancesBy Joseph Mwenda on 15 Dec 2018
Students at the Copperbelt University Friday night rioted over the delayed payment of their meal allowances.
And Copperbelt Police Commissioner Charity Katanga says seven vehicles were damaged in the process of the riots.
The students gathered around 22:00 hours to air their grievances over the delayed meal allowances, after which meeting they held a procession to Jambo Drive where they blocked the Highway and started rioting.
But Katanga claimed some drunk students instigated the riots.
“Students riotious behaviour, occurred on December 14, 2018 at around 23:00 hours. Some students ran amock and blocked Jambo Drive with concrete blooms in Riverside Kitwe where they stoned and damaged seven passing vehicles. The same [students] are demanding meal allowance. This happened when some students went out to drink beer and when they returned they mobilised others into the act and in the process the following vehicles were damaged vehicle,” Katanga stated.
“Toyota Bravis Reg number ACV 2760 owner David Mwenya Kabanda, 30 years of age. He had his front windscreen and right rear side window broken. Toyota Alion BCB 1425zm belonging to Brendan Okane 34 years of house number 27 Almalike street river side, had its rear windscreen broken and dents on both sides of the body. Toyota Land Cruiser Prado registration number ADC 6167 in which Careen Kalima Mulenga 36 years of House number 1 Julia Chikamoneka River Side reported on behalf of Chanda Mulenga that the vehicle had its Rear left side glass broken and dents on the left side. Toyota Hiace Quantum registration number AOB 2722 for Nsakanja Stainley 34years of House number 8 mulundu river side had its Rear right and left sides glasses broken. Toyota Alpherd registaion ADE 1827zm for Agripa Tembo 50 years of house A26 CBU Camp had its left side Wind shield broken. BMW registration ADC 7646 For Willie Ngosa 35years of house number 1766 freedom way riverside had a broken front windscreen and a dent on the rear side. And BMW registration 002CD 33N For Justin Sikaala 49yrs of riverside extension had a dent on the rear right door.”
She said the value of the damaged property has not yet been ascertained.
Katanga said ‘quick’ action by the police managed to push back the students into campus.
“Quick action by the police controlled the situation and managed to push back the students into comus. No injuries recorded and no arrest made. We have launched investigation to identify the ringleaders. The situation is quiet at the moment and police continue to mornitor,” said Katanga.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Negotiate less chaotic exit with Vedanta before arbitration kicks in – Chipimo tips govt - 26 Jul 2019
- Lungu fires Mawere, transfers Chitotela, Luo - 19 Jul 2019
- Chaotic takeover, planned sale of KCM will have serious legal implications on Zambia – Chipimo - 17 Jul 2019
- It will be contempt if govt sells KCM before court process – Liquidator - 12 Jul 2019
- There’s no link between China debt relief and KCM – Musukwa - 2 Jul 2019
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India (2,310 views)
- Mushimba wonders why accepted UNZA student don’t show up to enroll (2,006 views)
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (1,645 view)
- You'll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt (1,622 view)
- State witness in Chimese’s case in court for perjury (1,031 view)
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend