- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
ECZ sets July 30 for Katuba by-electionBy Mirriam Chabala on 12 Jun 2019
The Electoral Commission of Zambia has announced that the ECZ sets July 30 for Katuba by-election by-election will be held on July 30.
According to a statement issued by ECZ public relations manager Margarate Chimanse, Tuesday, the Commission will also conduct six local government by-elections in Lubwa Ward of Kitwe District, Lungwishi Ward of Mansa District, Mayembe Ward of Shiwang’ándu District, Mangango, Shitwa and Kanabilumbu Wards of Kaoma District on the same date.
“The polls will take place from 06:00 hours to 18:00 hours. The Election in Katuba Constituency has been necessitated following the death of the incumbent area Member of Parliament, Mrs. Patricia Mwashingwele on 2nd May, 2019. The vacancies in Lubwa Ward, Lungwishi Ward, Mayembe Ward, Mangango Ward, Shitwa Ward, and Kanabilumbu Ward are as a result of resignations and deaths of councillors,” Chimanse stated.
“Aspiring candidates in the by-elections should lodge completed and attested statutory declaration and nomination papers subscribed before a Magistrate, Local Court Magistrate, Head of a Government Primary or Secondary School, Principal of a College, Commissioner of Oaths, Election Officer or Returning Officer on 11th July 2019 between 09:00 hours and 15:00 hours.”
She outlined the requirements for aspiring candidates in all by-elections.
“Aspiring candidates for Parliamentary By-elections in Katuba Constituency should take along with them fifteen (15) supporters who must be registered voters in the said Constituency. The supporters must have in their possession their Green National Registration Cards and Voters’ Cards. Aspiring candidates for the Parliamentary by election will be required to pay Seven Thousand, Five Hundred Kwacha (K7,500.00) non refundable nomination fee. Aspiring candidates in the Local Government By-elections should take along with them nine (9) supporters who must be registered voters in the affected wards. Aspiring candidates will be required to pay Seven Hundred and Fifty Kwacha (K750.00), for City and Municipal Councils and Four Hundred Kwacha (K400.00) for District Councils, non refundable nomination fee,” Chimanse stated.
“Candidates for the Parliamentary and the six (6) Ward By-elections must also present certified copies of their Grade 12 Certificates, as a minimum academic qualification or equivalent.
In view of this, the Commission wishes to advise aspiring candidates who may wish to contest in these by-elections that failure to comply with these requirements shall render the nomination papers null and void.”
She stated that the campaign period would begin on July 11 and end on July 29.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,570 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,535 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,323 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,644 view)
- Forget the Damn headline, did you get the message? (1,220 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend