by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Julia Malunga on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019
Those who think I don’t deserve honorary doctorate playing politics – LunguBy Mukosha Funga on 22 Jun 2019
President Edgar Lungu says those who think he does not deserve an honorary doctorate from the University of Zambia are just playing politics and he will not respond to them.
And President Lungu says he does not wish to be called “Dr Lungu” because he is just simple “Edgar”.
He was responding to public outcry over UNZA’s intentions to honor him for “upholding the rule of law, appointing a female vice-president”, among other reasons, when he arrived at Simon Mwansa Kapwepwe International Airport, Saturday.
“Firstly, I am not a Doctor. I do not have a doctorate and I do not wish to be called Dr Edgar Lungu. There is so much talk about the doctorate to be conferred on me by the University of Zambia which I am greatly humbled with. But, let me tell you that in class I was one of the best students and if I really wanted to venture into the academia, the academic world, I would have been a professor by now. But I chose to pursue the political life and practice of the law,” President Lungu said.
“So those who think I do not deserve to be honored by the University of Zambia, that is politics and I will not respond to that. And even if I am conferred and recognized as such by the institution, I wouldn’t really want to be called Dr Lungu, I still want to remain simple Edgar.”
President Lungu said he was not one of those who pursued academic titles to appear more knowledgable.
“There are people who strive to become doctors and professors because they want to serve and there people that want to become doctors and professors because they want to bask in the glory of being perceived knowledgeable and I am not one of those. Whether you call me Doctor or not, what I have – I already have, what I was acquiring I have acquired already. I got my first degree from the University of Zambia, I have done a few post diplomas and courses so I am not worried about being called Doctor,” said President Lungu.
“What matters to me is what I have in my heart so don’t worry about doctorates, professorships, that doesn’t matter to me. What matters is ‘am I being of service to the people of Zambia?”
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- UK responds with relief food to hunger disaster - 19 Sep 2019
- Lungu fires 3 permanent secretaries, makes reshuffles - 3 Sep 2019
- ZRA resolves $7.6 billion tax “evasion” by Kalumbila, waives some penalties - 26 Aug 2019
- Kabwe children contaminated with toxic Lead, reveals Human Rights Watch - 26 Aug 2019
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk - 25 Aug 2019
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (3,447 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (1,418 view)
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa (1,014 view)
- Lungu’s continued association with Findlay damaging the Presidency - KBF (993 views)
- It’s against separation of powers for Parley to supervise executive - PF (908 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Zambians have now turned to charcoal, forests are depleting
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa
- Solwezi man wins K67,147 from K5 bet
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend