- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Joseph Mwenda on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
ZRA wants to hide corruption, UPP tells CourtBy Elias Banda on 2 May 2017
UPP leader Saviour Chishimba says Zambia Revenue Authority’s decision to sue him over alleged malicious falsehoods and the injunction obtained is intended to muffle freedom of expression.
ZRA sued the United Progressive Party in the Lusaka High Court claiming K100 billion for malicious falsehoods relating to a tender that ZRA is alleged to have been dubiously awarded to a Chinese company.
Chishimba has, however, through lawyer Lilian Mushota, described the lawsuit as as an attempt to hide corrupt activities and intimidate citizens.
“The injunction obtained by the plaintiff is intended to muffle freedom especially of an opposition party standpoint on concerns of public interest regarding impropriety, accountability, abuse of public resources,” read Saviour’s defense.
The UPP leader submitted in a defense that his comment was largely true as conceded by ZRA commissioner general on March 31.
He further submitted that his statements on corruption activities were in support of President Edgar Lungu’s lamentations on massive corruption involving public officials.
Last month, judge Annesie Banda-Bobo granted ZRA an injunction restraining Chishimba or his agents from further publishing or broadcasting falsehoods.
About Elias Banda
Elias Banda is interested in lifestyle and human interest stories and he brings a unique perspective.
Email: elias [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kamondo urges ConCourt to dismiss Masumba’s appeal - 29 May 2017
- Keith Mukata’s ‘wife’ attracts attention at court - 19 May 2017
- Judge Nkonde stops LAZ from joining Post case - 5 May 2017
- ZRA wants to hide corruption, UPP tells Court - 2 May 2017
- Court refuses to quash Nchima’s personation charge - 21 Apr 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend